Folder Tree Missing This PC

Hello Jon/Leo,

I am running the current release (not beta) of DOpus (12.24) and I noticed that the "This PC" is not showing on the Folder Tree. I have attached some screenshots.

BTW: I looked at the comments on the Beta releases, but I didn't see any mention of this. I also searched through the forum as well. My apologies if I missed it on another thread.

What does the tree do if you double-click This PC on the right?

If you look at the tree in File Explorer, where does This PC appear there?

Do you have any global filters in effect?

Q1. This PC will open and appear in the Folder Tree on the left.
Q2. See image below.
Q3. The only Global Filter I have set is to "Hide protected" OS files.

Where does it appear?

If you hold Shift and right-click Desktop in the folder tree, is there an item near the top called Reset Tree Root? If there is, click that and see if it makes a difference.

If there isn't, there should instead be one called Root Tree Here; click that, then repeat the process and there should now be a Reset Tree Root item; click that, and see if it makes a difference.

To answer your original question, look at the first image below.

Root Tree Here
20210923-1 Root Tree Here

Reset Root Tree

BTW: I do have saved tabs and I resaved them after the reset and still no This PC in the Folder Tree after closing and reopening it DOpus.

After doing Reset Root Tree, do you still see This PC in the tree if you navigate to another folder?

If I navigate to another predefined tab, no. If I open a new blank tab, whereby the Folder Tree does not change, then yes.

As I mentioned earlier, I did reset each individual tabs before saving the tab group. Still not showing up after closing and reopening.

Well, now it is showing up. However, I had to click through all of the tabs first and then when I went back to the previous ones where it was not showing, it then appeared.

I then closed it again and reopened, not showing.

I will see if I can make a short video and upload it.

Don't change tabs. Change folders in the tab you were in when you reset the tree.

The other tabs may have the same problem, and we're trying to test if what I think is the problem really is the problem. If it is then fixing it should be easy.

The answer is yes to this question.

I changed folders on both the left and right and This PC remains in view.

That probably means you used the Root Tree Here menu (or equivalent command) in the past, and those tabs have been saved that way.

You'll need to reset the tree root in each tab, then re-save the default lister / layout / folder tab group (or whatever type of object the tabs have come from).

You can use the Set TREEROOT=reset command on a button or hotkey to quickly reset the root, if that helps.

Leo,
I mentioned earlier that I did exactly what you are instructing. I will try that again tomorrow.

Here's my update. As I mentioned previously, at least twice, I did what you said and no This PC.

Now I have narrowed it down. Two methods I tried:

Method 1

Status Quo (no Quck Access) or Add Quick Access (my original did not have this)

• Right-Click Desktop, Root Tree Here
  • Right-Click Desktop, Reset Tree Root
  • This PC appears: Yes
  • Select a folder under User Name (which is directly under Desktop), for example HPDelaney\Dropbox\Clients
  • Set as Default Lister
  • Close and Re-Open DOpus
  • This PC appears: No

Method 2:

Add Quick Access

• Right-Click Desktop, Root Tree Here
  • Right-Click Desktop, Reset Tree Root
  • Select a folder under Dropbox (which is directly under Desktop), for example HPDelaney\Dropbox\Clients
  • Set as Default Lister (see Image 1 below)
  • Close and Re-Open DOpus (see Image 2 below)

There is clearly something going on here, but I have my work around and you can do with this information whatever you need to do.

Image 1: How it looked when Set as Default Lister.

Image 2: How it looked when Re-Opened. The way I saved it as the Default Lister now appears under the User Name rather than Dropbox.

Do you have any scripts installed?

None that I am aware of.

Looking at the last screenshot again, This PC is in the folder tree, so it looks like the problem has been solved? (At least the one the thread is about.)

A work around is not a solved problem. However, you can close this if you like.

I'm not sure what you mean?

The issue was that This PC wasn't appearing in the tree.

It's now in the tree.

What needs working around?

You mentioned that the tree, when you select a certain default folder, will open showing the User Profile path to that folder rather than the alternative path directly below Desktop (if I've understood correctly), but that's unrelated to the This PC folder and would be best in a new thread if you need help with that.

If there's another issue then I've missed it. Please clarify.

As you said, I got it to appear. Please close.