Folder Tree Modes very slow in 10.5.7.0

Hi Leo

I was wondering if you could help me. I have been using Directory Opus for quite a while. I haven't upgraded to version 11 (haven't got around to it) but recently I noticed that any lister that displays a folder tree is pathetically slow (around 1 minute on some occasions). A directory only mode like Commander is normal and the normal Windows file explorer does not have any issues!

I have checked plugins etc. I have uninstalled and installed several times. I have used process explorer to try to get to the root of the problem with no joy. Please help.

USER32.dll!GetMessageW+0x5a
USER32.dll!GetMessageW+0x25
dopus.exe+0x4744be
dopus.exe+0x470b04
dopus.exe+0x4700ec
dopus.exe!DummyExeFunction1ToAvoidSymbolConfusion+0x221fdf
KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d

KERNELBASE.dll!lstrlenA+0x9
USER32.dll!GetClassNameA+0x4f
HydraDMH64.dll!HookMessages+0x3f14
HydraDMH64.dll!UpdateHookAppConfiguration+0x1914
USER32.dll!BroadcastSystemMessageExA+0x22e
USER32.dll!MsgWaitForMultipleObjects+0xe5
USER32.dll!MsgWaitForMultipleObjects+0x156
ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcher+0x1f
USER32.dll!GetMessageW+0x5a
USER32.dll!GetMessageW+0x25
dopus.exe+0x4744be
dopus.exe+0x470b04
dopus.exe+0x4700ec
dopus.exe!DummyExeFunction1ToAvoidSymbolConfusion+0x221fdf
KERNEL32.DLL!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xd
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x1d

Microsoft Security Essentials has been known to cause the folder tree to be very slow for some people, if you are using that. (It makes obtaining icons very slow in some situations, and affects more than just Opus.)

Third-party items within the folder tree (added by Shell Extensions) can also cause slow-downs. ShellExView can show you which shell extensions are installed and lets you try disabling them to see if it helps. Anything to do with cloud storage is usually a good first bet.

Hi Leo

Thanks for responding. Yes I do have Microsoft Intune protection (it is a company thing which I cannot turn off). Directory Opus has been running side by side with Intune protection for a long time without any slowdown which is only a recent occurrence! As I have said Windows File Explorer does not exhibit the problem.

I will download the shell extension utility to see what I can glean.

Turning off Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents / ZIP files and other archives may help, since the issue with Microsoft's anti-virus seems to be it makes inspecting EXE files (to extract their icons or check if they are self-extracting zip archives) extremely slow, even when the file has already been scanned and is being opened in a way which would never execute the code within it.

Yes I have seen this in other posts. In my case it has never been turned on. The only things I have checked in Contents are:

Hidden and System Folders (subject to global filters)
Libraries (Display under the Desktop Item + Show member folders individually)

Is there anything else that I can try. I really want to continue using the product which I have been for years. The long wait for the folder tree to open when clicking the right arrow next to the drive is a real turn off!

Have you tried ShellExView yet?

Looking at what was recently installed or updated may also be worthwhile, since it cannot be a change in Opus if you're using 10.5.7.0, and something must have changed to cause the slowness.

I have had a good look at what had been recently installed and there is nothing of note. I managed to convince the company to get Intune protection temporarily uninstalled but this had no effect. Things are pretty slow. Just to put things into perspective I have a pretty beefy laptop which had 32Gb memory, solid state drives, Core I7, etc, etc. Windows explorer comes up and enumerates folders instantaneously

Time to try ShellExView and start disabling shell extensions in batches to see if the problem goes away when you do.