Folders Popup v3.2 fully "Directory Opus aware" - beta test

I'm the developer of Folders Popup. Many DOpus users asked me to include Directory Opus support in this app. I started using DOpus to test release v2 of FP that included basic DOpus support. And I felt in love with DOpus! So, now, I'm almost ready to release the first "really DOpus aware" version of Folders Popup. I just need some time from DOpus users to test it before official release.

Folders Popup 101

For those new to Folders Popup, this freeware is basically a folder launcher (often described to Direct Folders replacement). Folders Popup is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1. In a few words, here is what FP is doing:

• All your favorite folders, documents and web pages at your finger tip – press the middle mouse button (or press Windows-K) over a file dialog box, a file Explorer window or the desktop to popup your personalized favorites launcher.
  • If your mouse does not have a middle button, you can choose another trigger in the Options dialog box.
  • Hold the Shift key while pressing the mouse middle mouse button (or press Shift-Windows-K) to popup a new File Explorer window from any window.
  • The Special folders menu gives an easy access to Desktop, Document, Pictures, My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Control Panel and Recycle Bin.
  • The Recent folders menu lists the recent folders memorized by Windows.
  • Use the "Switch" menu to switch to any opened file Explorer windows (and now listers!) or open one of these folders in a dialog box.
  • And much more: see code.jeanlalonde.ca/folderspopup/

Now, more about Directory Opus...

What's new in v3.2 beta for Directory Opus (DOpus) users:

• At Folders Popup startup, the app prompts you to activate DOpus support automatically if the software is found on the system.
  • Navigate user folders and recent folders in DOpus listers reliably and seamlessly using internal commands.
  • Enable special folders menus (My Computer, Network Neighborhood, Recycle Bin, etc.) in DOpus using built-in aliases.
  • The "Switch Explorer" menu combines in one menu the folders opened in Windows Explorer and listers in DOpus.
  • Use DOpus icons for listers in the "Switch Explorer" menu.
  • The "Switch in dialog box" menu proposes to load in a file dialog box any folder opened in Windows Explorer or listers in DOpus.
  • Using the DOpus system command DOpusRt to change the current folder and gather information about listers for "Switch Explorer" or "Add this folder" menus.
  • Adapted support for special collections in DOpus (like search result windows).

Release v3.2 of Folders Popup in now ready for beta tests. Even if it has been well tested, you must understand that some bugs may still be present in the app. The goal of the beta testing is to uncover these last bugs. If you would like to join the beta test, please see more info and the download link on this page:

code.jeanlalonde.ca/beta-testers ... opup-v3-2/

Please report bugs by email at ahk@jeanlalonde.ca or on the above web page.

Take note that I’m not affiliated with the GPSoft (developers of Directory Opus) in any way. However, I thank them for their support.

Nice work!

If you want, feel free to make a post about Folders Popup in the forum's Tools area so more people find it once this thread is old & scrolled off the front page.

Will do. Thanks for the tip!

I hate the internet at work. I guess this is nothing to worry about?

I checked with Google webmasters tool and nothing is reported there. When my Wordpress site is infected, this tool report it. I'll do some more research. Thanks for reporting this.

All works well at home using Comodo Firewall.

Happy to read it! I searched about this malware. When effective, it uses iFrames to redirect browsers to other sites. In this case, there has been no redirection. This is possibly a false positive from your work firewall. But I'll keep an eye on that.

Hope this did not diverted you from taking a look at Folders Popup :slight_smile:

Thanks for full DO awareness! o) I did not use FP before, but I tried it to see what it offers.

Some things I noticed while test driving it:

• the grey skin popups are white in the background for me (i don't use any windows theme, just classic look - maybe that has to do with it?)
  • I would prefer both of the "Switch" submenus to be directly in the root menu of the popup
  • I would prefer the "settings" and "support freeware" entries to not be in the popup

Additionally I have following idea:
What I - (despite many other things o) - don't like about the standard windows file requesters is, that you cannot drag a file into the window, to make that the file to open (like it was in amiga days).
Instead any dragged and dropped file is copied to the location the requester currently shows, maybe helpful at times, but I never do that. But I often have files listed in directory opus which I'd like to drag over to those file requesters, because some application do not support dragging files directly to their window. The current workflow FP offers, to select the lister/location currently already opened in DO and then relocating that file in "explorer"-view is still too uncomfortable for me. So what about dragged files onto the popup? Could you fetch the location and name of those and pass them on to the dialog (the popup should close by itself if used as a drop-zone)?

It probably makes sense to raise/discuss general suggestions for Folder Popups in the support site for the tool: code.jeanlalonde.ca/folderspopup/#respond

Let's keep this thread for discussing issues specific to Opus integration, please. :slight_smile:

Ok, I didn't notice that, I pasted my post over there too and now.. away I am. o)

I agree. And tbone too. He re-posted his message on my website.