Forward and Back Buttons Grayed Out

What might cause my brothers back and forward buttons to remain grayed out and dysfunctional? I notice too, the backspace key doesn't work either for going back a notch.

It may be well part of the same problem, but his Win-E doesn't recognize Dopus like mine does.

Not so, the Win-E key combination had been remapped using AutoHotKey. Once that was removed, Win-E began defaulting to Dopus.

Back and Forward arrows are still dysfunctional.

If Back and Forward are grayed out then it usually means there is no folder history to go back or forward to.

That would only happen for both buttons if the window was new and had never been navigated to another folder before.

(Even if you set Preferences / Favorites and Recent / Recent List / Lister History to remember the minimum of 1 folder per window, you'd still have an enabled Back button for that one folder, if the window had ever navigated away from its starting folder.)

If it's not that then the commands that the Back and Forward buttons run may have been modified, and you'd need to open the buttons while in Customize mode to see what they are set to run for us to help any further.

[quote="leo"]If Back and Forward are grayed out then it usually means there is no folder history to go back or forward to.

That would only happen for both buttons if the window was new and had never been navigated to another folder before.

(Even if you set Preferences / Favorites and Recent / Recent List / Lister History to remember the minimum of 1 folder per window, you'd still have an enabled Back button for that one folder, if the window had ever navigated away from its starting folder.)

If it's not that then the commands that the Back and Forward buttons run may have been modified, and you'd need to open the buttons while in Customize mode to see what they are set to run for us to help any further.[/quote]
I've opened the buttons and checked the settings. They are what they are supposed to be. The back and forward are totally grayed out not matter how far I navigate down the tree but the up arrow is correct, allowing me to navigate back up one level at a time.

From this behavior, it would lead you to believe there is no folder history. The question is why.

Ahhh, I checked the "(Even if you set Preferences / Favorites and Recent / Recent List / Lister History to remember the minimum of 1 folder per window, you'd still have an enabled Back button for that one folder, if the window had ever navigated away from its starting folder.)" and discovered it was not set "even" to a 1. It was zero and the "Enable Recent List" box was not checked. The lister history was set to 0. When I changed it to 10, the problem finally went away.

Leo, you are a champ. Thanks a million. Every thing is working as it should.