Freeze/delay switching to thumbnails with Wacom tablet

When I click on the tab entitled "Images" and then press F9 to view the selected file in the viewer window, Dopus freezes up. The only way out is to click on the tab entitled "Explorer", but even that takes about 20 seconds to respond, and avoiding what I want to do doesn't help me do what I want to do, anyway. Is there any way I can fix this? Thanks.

-- Steve LaMantia

Windows 8
DOpus v 10.5.3.0 (5016) x64

So it does not do the same thing if you load the same file into the viewer when in Details mode?

What type of file is it?

Leo, in Details mode, all is well.

I just realized that it has nothing to do with the viewer window. (I made that assumption because I was in the habit of going into "Images" tab (thumbnails view, right?) and then eyeballing the thumbnails to see which file I wanted a closer look at in the viewer window, so popping up the viewer window almost always immediately followed switching to thumbnail view.

It's actually just the mere act of switching to thumbnails view that freezes the lister.

The files were .tif files, but I just tested on jpgs, with the same frozen results.

Please try the suggestions in Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories to see if it can be narrowed down to a particular plugin or shell extension, and/or particular files.

If you want, and you can reproduce the problem in a directory that only contains a few files, you can send me the files and I'll see if the problem happens on my machine. If it does then it should be easy to fix, but if it doesn't then it may be because the problem is in a 3rd party plugin/extension. The guide has suggestions on tracking those down, if needed.

Leo,

I narrowed things down enough now so that it appears to be some interaction between my Wacom Bamboo graphics pen and tablet and Dopus. (I know enough to not point accusing fingers at either, interactions being what they are.)

I use a Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet not only for image editing, but as my primary mouse as well. (Given the long hours I sometimes spend on the PC, the graphics pen is far superior to a mouse for not causing RSI.)

But I nonetheless keep the wireless mouse connected, with the mouse sitting to my left. (Handy for using the scroll wheel, especially.)

And in experimenting around with my reported problem, I noticed if I use the mouse rather than the graphics pen and tablet, the freeze I reported does not happen. So, my problem is apparently not a DOpus-caused problem.

To be fair, the Wacom tablet causes no problems in any of my other software, either, except for one: Adobe Reader, where using the pen to do a "mouse click" inside the client area has no effect. (It still works for clicking outside the client area in Reader, meaning the title bar stuff: minimize, maximize, close. Big yay.)

I do have the latest Wacom drivers installed, v 5.3.2.1.

So, I don't know what to say at this point. I apologize for taking up your time with this problem. It looks like I need to contact Wacom about it. (But I'm not holding my breath.)

Thanks again.

-- Steve

Let us know if Wacom have any ideas or things we can try on our side. As far as Opus is concerned, it would just be seeing the Wacom tablet as normal mouse inputs, since it does not have any special understanding of tablets.

It seems odd that using a tablet instead of a real mouse would cause such a problem, but it's possible if the drivers are getting confused or sending something unexpected to Opus, I guess. I can't think of anything to suggest trying and don't have a Wacom tablet that I can test with myself to see if we can repro the problem, unfortunately.

I have exactly the same problem.
I have a Wacom Intuos (lastest drivers; just installed) and Windows 8.1 (also just upgraded from win 7). On Win7 i have no problems whatsoever!

On win 8 the thumbnailview is b0rked.
Switching to thumbnailmode shows all thumbnails correctly. But clicking once on a thumbnail (or folder(!)) freezes dopus.

I'll gather more info

Using dopus 10.5.4.1 beta (latest)

When i look with sysinternals ProcesExp i see:

And the stack of that proces shows:
\

So i turned off the windows8 startmenu software - the problem remains...

Killed the Wacom driver (in proces manager). Problem is gone(!)
So it is Wacom related.

@Leo: do you have a Wacom to test this or should i send mine over (in your dreams!) :slight_smile:

So i installed a win7 driver for Wacom - that did not work at all (no tablet found).
Back to First win8 driver: same problem

Now back to latest Wacom-driver: problem remails BUT i now have a regular mouse on my laptop AND a tablet.
When i click on thumbnails with the mouse everything is quick in response. When i do the same thing with the tablet-pen it freezes/stalls/hangs for a short time.

I'll gladly give you remote desktop control of my laptop to figure things out :wink:
Email me if you need anything to solve this.

If it's a Wacom problem then reporting this to Wacom would seem to be more sensible then trying to get us to debug it for them.

The "startmenuxhook.dll" mentioned in the stack track is presumably from this program. Maybe try uninstalling / disabling that and see if it's involved.

Hi Jon,

Wacom says the same thing... If its a problem with just one software product it must be that software product... :frowning:
Any help whatsoever is appreciated.

BTW: i already disabled the startmenuXhook thing and loads of other drivers and that did not fix it. It looks like a unique combination between Opus and Wacom...

Ok - I 'fixed' it... I uninstalled Windows 8.1 and am back to Windows 7.
Win8 is nice, but I hate running into driver trouble. This was the last push I needed to downgrade.

Sorry for others who have similar probs. I can not help you anymore since I downgraded and have no more access to w win8 system.

I actually have an Intuous tablet (it was in a box I'd forgotten about), but having tested it under Windows 8.1 I can't get it to misbehave at all.

I navigate to a folder containing pictures, then using the tablet I click the thumbnail button on the toolbar to go into thumbnails mode. For me it works perfectly - no sign of a "freeze".

Is there something else I should be trying?

Hmm.. i can't say i did anything weird.
It was a clean install with win8.1+updates, Adobe CS5, and not much more.

I did install XNview (which is an imageviewer); but the problem also appeared on icons of exe-files...
I do have a Intuos 4 AND i disabled the PEN and GESTURES options from win8.
(Control Panel > search for pen : Disable flicks, disable push-and-hold for rightclick, disable everything :wink: )

Glad to hear the problem is not there for you - that must mean then when i do upgrade (next year or so) the problem could be gone :wink:
How about @sglamantia? Did you ever figure it out?

Thanks @Jon for your effort. But for the moment I'm not upgrading to w8.1.

Not exactly a quick reply; sorry. (I've been off this board for a long while.) I did find something out by experimenting. My Wacom software has a tab labelled "Pen". Under that tab you can select between "Pen Mode" and "Mouse Mode". Pen Mode sets a 1-to-1 relationship between the points on the tablet and the points on the screen, whereas Mouse Mode causes the pen to behave like a mouse in that when you lift the tablet's pen up off the tablet and set it down at a different location on the tablet, the pointer on the screen stays where it had been when you lifted the pen. (Just the way a mouse behaves.)

I had been in Pen Mode when I was having that problem. I found that by switching to Mouse Mode, the problem went away. I decided to stay with Mouse Mode for a while to try to get used to it and it turns out I actually like it that way for most work. (I had been doing a lot of Photoshop work where Pen Mode made more sense, but I can easily switch over to that when in Photoshop if need be.)

So, the problem is solved for me, although if I stay in Pen Mode when I come out of Photoshop and go into DOpus, I still have the original problem, but I've found at least a reasonable workaround.

I'm on windows 10 now. Same problem started. Disable Wacom setting: "Use Windowes ink" fixes this problem :slight_smile:

google.nl/search?q=wacom+us ... i8rxLQM%3A

confirmed.
uncheck " Windows Ink" to resolve this issue

Peter Wassink
Win10
wacom cintiq
11.19 x64