Pauses after descending into folders (Dropbox shell extension)

Hi! Paid DOpus user for over a dozen years.

Directory Opus 12.23 x64 Pro build 7655
Windows 10 x64 10.0.19041 Build 19041
SSD Intel Optane P905 (one of the fastest random access SSDs in the world), 64 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 2700X

Whenever I descend into a folder, Directory Opus is not responding for a few seconds, making it excruciatingly frustrating to use.

Please help me investigate and resolve this issue.

It feels similar to opening a hard drive that starts to spin up. Except I'm accessing a system drive SSD.

Best place to start is Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories.

Rebooting did not resolve the issue.

This issue does not happen to Explorer.

I'll go through the high CPU guide and report back.

When I descend into a folder and DOpus freezes for like 10 seconds, its process does not receive high CPU activity as seen in a process explorer.

Please advise further.

Please follow the guide that Jon linked. High CPU is not a requirement, just a common symptom.

DOpus has started working instantly after closing the Drobox, which had been "Checking for updates" for over a day after a reboot.

Note that I wasn't visiting the Dropbox folder, not even same drive.

Any advice specific to taming Dropbox? It doesn't seem to affect Windows Explorer, only DOpus.

Sounds like a Dropbox issue, if Dropbox was stuck in other ways outside of Opus and exiting it fixed the slowdown inside of Opus.

You'd have to ask Dropbox about that, since it's not our product. We can only suggest generic things like making sure it is the latest version, or disabling its shell extension or removing it entirely if it's causing problems. They may have better suggestions.

They would answer symmetrically, blaming DOpus and saying it's not their issue. Why would you even suggest that. :confused:

Opus wouldn't be causing Dropbox to get stuck updating all day.

Dropbox issues don't become our responsibility just because we reply and they (presumably) don't.

2 Likes

Opus wouldn't be causing Dropbox to get stuck updating all day.

Do you really expect Dropbox support to admit their app is causing a third party app to get stuck updating all day?

The issue won't reproduce for me anymore. I'll update the title of the thread.

Uhm, can't find the edit button.

I'd have to switch to a test account to check, but I think older posts can't be edited after a while (since it can get confusing). Don't worry about the title.

In case anyone has the same issue - we had it a year or two ago and Dropbox was the cause. Here's our note to self:

We have all found that Directory Opus has become slow to open folders when clicking on the + or > in the folder tree. Having taken the matter up on the DOpus forum, it turns out that the problem is Dropbox. The answer is:

• Download and run shexview.exe (click Yes when it requests permission)
• Wait for the list to populate.
• Sort by the Type column and scroll down to the Icon Overlay Handler entries.
• Select the DropBox extension(s) then right-click and select the option to disable them.
• Don't do anything else! You are editing the Windows Registry.
• Close shexview.exe
• Reboot.

Note there may be other ways to this, but it worked for us. At your own risk!

This removes some specific Dropbox icons, like the ones showing folders syncing, but these are not really required as Dropbox mostly just works in the background. It still runs fine.

DOpus should be back to being responsive.