Frequent crashes

I am getting really annoyed with the frequent crashes of Directory Opus in Windows 10. It stops responding to my mouse clicks. I close it and sure enough, I get those two dialog error boxes as expected. There's a thread about shell extensions. I have a few of them and I am not sure what Directory Opus support wants me to do with them. I don't want to disable them. They work fine in File Explorer. I went through tens of updates and beta updates and this issue never gets better for me.

I can't also copy the error message from the dialog. How about also making it easy to copy the text. Usually, I am able to do ctrl-A and copy the text in other Windows app and I can't do that either here.

opus

Sorry you're having crashes! If you follow the FAQ to locate and send us any crash dumps that have been created we should be able to work out what's causing the problem.

From the crash dumps you sent today, this looks like a crash when right-clicking something?

Can you give us more information about what is being right-clicked?

Does it only happen on right-click, or also on other mouse actions?

These are the third party DLLs loaded into the process:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DisplayFusion\Hooks\AppHook64_2DB5A5A9-C5A4-4A7C-9299-A7A90103C40F.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\BuShell.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\ccIPC.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\ccLib.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\ccSet.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\ccVrTrst.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\EFACli64.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\msvcp140.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\NavShExt.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security\Engine\22.19.8.65\VCRUNTIME140.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\NppShell_06.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Send Anywhere\context_handler\x64\snda_context_handler.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Zoom Player\zpshlext64.dll
C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7-zip.dll
C:\Program Files\Attribute Changer\acshell.dll
C:\Program Files\Evoluent\VMouse\V4\EvoMouseHook.DLL
C:\Program Files\FileZilla FTP Client\fzshellext_64.dll
C:\Program Files\LockHunter\LHShellExt64.dll
C:\Program Files\Mythicsoft\FileLocator Pro\ShellExt_2929.dll
C:\Program Files\Start Menu X\StartMenuXHook.dll
C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerCOM.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\VSFileHandler_64.dll

If it happens with more than just right-clicks, the EvoMouseHook component might be worth investigating. If it's only when right-clicking then it could be any of them, and narrowing it down would be the best first step.

Working out the cause is important, else we have nothing to go on and no way to try and reproduce the same problem ourselves.

Extensions may work in Explorer but crash Opus (or vice versa) as the two things are different programs and some people only test against Explorer and rely on quirks of what it does or doesn't do. We can sometimes work around those quirks, or report them to the developers involved to see if they can fix them, or if needed block components from being loaded into Opus. But we need to know which component is causing the problem and how to reproduce it first. Only you can work that out, since the problem is only happening on your machine.

It's also possible that this is a bug in Opus, but this is rare when it comes to right-click crashes, and we'd usually have more reports if the bug was in Opus itself.

The dumps suggest that something has closed the lister window while the context menu was still open, which shouldn't usually be possible. We'll add some checks to our code to detect that and handle it better. That may avoid the crash, but we can't guarantee it without being able to reproduce it (e.g. by installing the same component that's causing the situation to occur).

1 Like

Usually when I right click it's to use 7zip. What happens is that Opus freezes. I click on a file or folder and nothing happens. The lister window didn't close. I am not sure what action exactly caused it because I have clicked several times already. I will pay more attention next time and leave a note here.

A post was split to a new topic: Crash when unattended, involves FTP

Well removing the shell extension is not an option. If they work just fine in File Explorer, I am just going to blame Opus Directory unless the app contains bugs which only manifest themselves in OD which I find weird.

You don't have to remove them forever.

Just TEST what happens if they are removed, to work out where the problem is. Once we know where the problem is, we can advise on what to do to stop the problem happening, whether that involves changing the code in or reconfiguring Opus, or something else.

(You can also try the option in Opus which hides most context menu items by default, as a quick test, without having to turn them off in any other software. This is covered in the FAQ I linked.)

If you cannot do that then we cannot help you.

And if you don't believe a component can crash in one program and not in another, I'd be happy to send you a shell extension that crashes Explorer and not Opus to prove that is not true. :slight_smile: If something is trashing a random memory location that one program uses and another doesn't, or making assumptions about threads or other context that only hold true in one program and not the other, it'll only crash one program, and it'd still be a bug in that component. Possibly a bug we can provide a workaround for, but only if you tell us which component it actually is so we have something to investigate.

2 Likes