FTP all of a sudden stopped working

Right in the middle of an FTP session, files going back and forth, I get a message "Invalid server name...". Retried to connect many times and no luck. Went to my hosting provider and checked if there was a problem. Nope, all was well there. I then looked at the FTP logs and found the following:

226 26 matches total
2972 bytes received in 0.328 seconds (8.808 Kbytes/sec)
SendFtpCmd() - WSANOTINITIALISED: Successful WSASTARTUP not yet performed
** WSA returns ERROR **
** WSA returns ERROR **
** WSA returns ERROR **
** WSA returns ERROR **
** WSA returns ERROR **
Closing WSAAsyncSelect() - WSANOTINITIALISED: Successful WSASTARTUP not yet performed
** WSA returns ERROR **
Connection closed

Me thinks there is something wrong in the guts of DO 10

Opus 10 is old and hasn't changed in many months so if something has suddenly stopped working, and still won't work after a reboot, then it's unlikely to be within Opus.

Have you tried rebooting?

I've rebooted many times. I'm looking into the possibility there are some "dirty" files because I ran chkdsk and had errors.

The problem was a dirty file in the DO directory. Had to reinstall. Now, all is well again.

I have exactly the same problem since some months, using DO 10 on a Win-2008-R2 system. I updated now my license and installed the latest version, but the problem persists. It strikes me several times a day, and each time, I have to exit/restart DO do be able to connect again.

Any idea how I can proceed to solve this? I'm using in parallel an SSH client (Bitvise Tunnelier) to connect to the same server as with DO. Could there be a bad interaction? It makes me half crazy.

"WSASTARTUP not yet performed" indicates one of the following is likely:

[ul][li] The WinSock DLLs are damaged on your system. (Unless WinSock DLLs, or things pretending to be them, have been placed into the Opus directory, this would probably affect other applications, so may be unlikely if other FTP clients seem to work OK.)

[/li]
[li] A firewall, antivirus or similar piece of software is blocking Opus from making WinSock / networking calls.

[/li]
[li] A 3rd party shell extension that gets loaded into Opus (and Explorer, File Open dialogs, etc.) is uninitialising WinSock, possibly due to a bug. (e.g. If the extension initialises it once, then un-initialises it twice, it will break the main initialisation.) Extensions related to cloud storage and online version control would be most likely to do this. ShellExView can be used to see which extensions are installed on your machine and disable them. You need to fully exit Opus (via File / Exit Directory Opus, not just by closing all open windows) and restart it for changes made with ShellExView to take effect.[/li][/ul]

Please try the 11.16.3 beta as we have made some changes which may help with this issue.

Just wondering if anyone who had this problem has tried 11.16.3 (or 11.17 now) and had any feedback on whether the problem is resolved or not?

I've been having these issues as well, or at least similar ones according to the error popup dialogue box I get:

"An error occurred copying 'x': Either the application has not called WSAStartup, or WSAStatup failed. (10093)"

This happens for, currently, unknown reasons. I do know it happens after I have made at least one connection to my ssh-server. I can interact with the server in a long stretch during that session, and it could be either inactivity (that closes the connection) or that I open another instance of DOpus and connect again.
Usually I find myself in this situation after some time of inactivity, in that I connect -> do things over ssh -> Alt-tab from DOpus -> do other things (browse the web, read documents, use Skype, etc..) -> Come back to DOpus (which still shows the ssh directory listing in the Target lister -> I e.g. try to copy a file from my local file system to the Target lister.
After this I have to cold start DOpus again.

I'll definitely run with the beta to see if I stumble on this again. IT's annoying in two respects; 1: It happens, 2: I can't seem to get to a point where I can systematically reproduce the issue.

You don't need to run a beta as the change is in the newer 11.17 stable version.

Which version were you using that had the problem?

In theory, 11.17 has mitigations for the problem, but as we cannot reproduce the problem and we have had no feedback on 11.16.3-11.17, we don't know for sure if they worked.