FTP constantly reconnecting

OK, here's the log. DO tries to reconnect to the server infinitely, even after I close the tab with where I connected to the server. What's worse it reconnects and popups even after I close all DO windows. I have to kill DO from tasks Task Manager to make it stop. It's very annoying because it minimzes full screen apps (like games) when it tries to reconnect.

dropbox.com/s/nx92s9fkx6jua75/ftp_log.txt
ftp_log.txt (6.32 KB)

The "550 I can only retrieve regular files" coming from PureFTPd before the connection drop/timeout is probably important. Resolving that will most likely resolve the reconnection issue.

From a web search, "550 I can only retrieve regular files" from PureFTPd may indicate one of the following:

[ul][li]Opus is trying to download a directory as if it was a file.

Easy way to find out: Edit the FTP bookmark and, on the Display tab, under Log, turn on Enable debug. The log will then include the commands Opus sends to the server in addition to the responses it gets back, and you'll be able to see which file Opus is requesting, if any.

If you see Opus trying to "GET" a directory instead of "LIST" or "DIR" it, then that probably explains what is happening.

This can be the result of Opus incorrectly guessing whether a link on the server is a file or a folder. FTP does not provide a reliable way to find this out, so clients have to guess sometimes, and things will become confused if the guess is wrong.

You can override the guesswork by editing the FTP bookmark and, in the middle of the Display tab, changing Treat unknown link as... to "folders". That may fix things on its own, after restarting Opus.

[/li]
[li]Trying to read a directory listing that cannot be read due to permissions on the server.

Easy to test using another FTP client and going to the same /web/wp-content/uploads directory.

[/li]
[li]Possibly, incorrect MLST/LIST settings for the server within the FTP bookmark's Misc tab, although that should not be a factor with PureFTPd as long as you haven't changed the defaults.[/li][/ul]

Thanks Leo for your thorough response. I've enabled debug and looked at the log.

• as to the log content - I don't see any of the commands you mentioned (LIST DIR GET), it seem the problem is command --> RETR cgi-bin

But I think this is secondary to the problem I've mentioned - don't you think that DO should stop reconnecting this server (whatever ftp error problems are present) after I close the tab with this connection? That holds even more with the situation when I close DO completely???
ftp_log_with_debug.txt (5.89 KB)

That means it's trying to download cgi-bin which is probably a folder. Did you try my other suggestions to see if it makes the problem go away?

Once we know what's actually happening we'll be better able to work out if a code change is needed somewhere.

Anything new about the reconnect thing? It still happens sometimes for no obvious reason.

We can't make any progress unless people try the suggestions in the thread and report back what they find.

Ok, i changed that one setting "treat unknown links" to "folders", i'll see, if this changes the behavior.
Like i said, it happens only randomly, but when it does, it happens quite a few times within 10 minutes or so.