FTP password request on each starting of DO

I've configured several FTP servers in my address book, however, one of them is bothering me each time I start DO. DO keeps asking me for the password to connect to this specific server. I even doubt that this is related to my address book in this case, but I couldn't figure out so far why DO continously request the password and username..

After starting DO I get this dialog:

As you can see from the screenshot above, DO tries to connect using anonymous credentials. OTH, I've already stored a password within the address book...

Nevertheless, I'm confirming the request by entering a username and the correct password, please note that I'm forcing DO to store this credentials.

Here is the appropriate address book entry. I even deleted this one and re-created it - to no avail.

When existing DO via notification bar icon and restarting, this loop continous.

Any hints that I could follow to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Michael

Is this a folder tab that's being remembered because it happened to be open before, or is it something you've saved explicitly and want to re-load each time you open a new window?

Hi and no unfortunately not.

I've checked this already since I was aware this would happen. I've loaded a saved tab group that does not have any tabs open pointing to any (FTP-) servers at all, afterwards I completely closed DO and restarted again.

Still getting this window...

You can use Settings > Set As Default Lister to save the current setup as your default folder tabs. (Assuming you haven't configured Opus to open a layout or something else.)

Or turn on Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister to save whatever you have as the new default each time you close a window.

(The settings under Preferences / Launching Opus / Startup can also play a part, when the program is exited -- not just closing all windows -- and restarted. e.g. After a reboot.)

FWIW, 12.17 improved the way FTP folder tabs were saved, when saved by newer versions (ones saved by older versions are still the same, even when loaded by newer versions). But if you don't want the tab to be there at all then one of the things above should get rid of it.

Could the port mismatch be a problem (22 vs 222)?

I'm always running the latest beta, just updated to 12.17.5. Still seeing this issue though.

Guess the port is not a problem because I can switch the port using the spin buttons on the right side which means IMO it is intended to use a different port than standard and I've configured this server some month or weeks before and out of a sudden DO keeps asking for the credentials.

This is already the case here.

Option is already checked...

I've set up "open the listes that were open when the program was last closed". Un-checked this one, and close DO. Upon restart the above window pops up again...

Found the issue on my side!

I've added some favorites pointing to FTP server folders. It's exactly this server DO is requesting a password and username to connect to. After removing all of those favs, DO works as expected again!

BUT: those favorites have been used for a long time now and DO suddenly prompts me for those credentials! Has the behaviour changed recently?

Back again :grinning:
When re-creating those favs to the very same FTP server, exiting DO and restarting it, no popup any more. Strange things happen. I did not change password for a long time but obviously DO forgot the once stored PW?

Just in case you were not aware, port 21 is the original FTP port. Port 22 is the SSH (secure shell) port. Port 222 is not really in the official specification as a reserved port number, so any application could use it.

If your FTP server is not listening to port 222 and DOpus was told to use port 222 when connecting to that FTP server, then the connection would have failed.

I know those port assignments or better the used FTP server is set to port 222 by intention. So is my setting in DO :blush:

Do you mean actual Favorites (not FTP Address Book entries)?

12.17 improved the way FTP sites are saved into folder tabs, favourites, etc. so that they refer back to the FTP Address Book entry instead of saving all the details independently. But the fix only happens when the tabs, favorites, etc. are saved; loading things saved by older versions will still get the old results.

Yes, below the Fav item in the folder tree. Those entries happen to work correctly some (versions) before and obviously stopped working recently.

This may explain why after re-creating favorites (from within a FTP tab) now works again.

As already mentioned above, right now everything is working again as expected, so no need to investigate further on your side, Leo.

Thank you for reading and your assistance.

1 Like