FTP problems

Hi,

I have a real problem with FTPing... Single files are OK, but if I am trying to up/download a whole site (or set of folders adn subfolders) it is as though there is a memory leak and after a while things get slower and slower til they stop. I have to close the connection, close Opus, then open it again and pick up from where it left off. It starts at lightining speed, then slows down and so on....

My global FTP settings are set to use PASV mode, but I have no idea where ro how to find out if this is necessary or best - I am sure, actually, that I have tried it on both and not found any difference....

Any ideas would be gratefully received. This is my only gripe with this excellent piece of software!

cheers
Phil

I rarely transfer large amounts of files at once but when I have I haven't noticed this. I wonder if it's specific to the combination of Opus and/or the site?

Does it happen with all sites or just one?

Does it happen in other FTP programs?

Anything useful or suspicious in the FTP log (which is a tab in the Opus Output Window that you can open via the tray-icon menu)?

Hi,

thanks for your reply....

I dont believe this. My FTP output window was full of minor upload junk, so I cleared that and decided to do a test, uploading a big site to a test domain I have - all went up on one click, no problem! So i then uploaded it again on top the just uploaded one (to see if that made a diffderence) and agin - no problems! All went up in a flash!

Maybe it's the time of day? (Early Sat morning here.) Maybe it's because I've only just booted my computer and it's "fresh" without cached memory/RAM "full" or something, I don't know - but I have never managed to upload more than one or two folders at once before w/o the problems I have described earlier.

I will keep a close eye on the output window next time it happens - should have before, but that kind of passed me by - thanks for pointing it out.

(It's happpened with all my sites I upload to - I manage quite a few - all hosted with one hosting company. I've long since given up with other FTP programs - I like the Opus layouts, and yes, I did have similar problems before with large uploads crashing halfway through...)

cheers
Phil