FTP settings

If I have a large number of files to upload to my site, I will typically start up three or four uploads to speed things up. Sometimes when I do this, the server locks me out for about a minute then the uploads can continue. My host says it is because the ftp program is opening and closing connections too many times in a short time period causing the ftp server to lock me out. They said I need to change the settings on the program to not open and close connections between files. Does this sound right? Is there such a setting in DO?

No. Opus does not normally do this. Opus opens one connection when you connect to the site and then reads the directory. When you copy files (and you should use the COPY Button in preference to DnD) Opus will use this same connection. It can and will open a new connection if you use the Lister while the copy action is in progress but this will only open one more connection.

You cannot change this behaviour in Opus.

To see what is actually happening, turn on the FTP Log and Debug from the FTP Site Preferences (or FTP default settings.)

Many FTP servers will limit you to just a few connections at once and they may also not like you logging in serveral times in a short amount of time, which is what Opus (or any other FTP client) has to do to upload more than one file at once.

[quote="greg"]No. Opus does not normally do this. Opus opens one connection when you connect to the site and then reads the directory. When you copy files (and you should use the COPY Button in preference to DnD) Opus will use this same connection. It can and will open a new connection if you use the Lister while the copy action is in progress but this will only open one more connection.

You cannot change this behaviour in Opus.

To see what is actually happening, turn on the FTP Log and Debug from the FTP Site Preferences (or FTP default settings.)[/quote]Thanks for the explanation. That's what I thought. But I don't understand what you mean by "you should use the COPY Button in preference." I run the lister in dual mode and I just highlight what I want to copy and click on the Copy button in the menu. Is that what you mean?

[quote="nudel"]Many FTP servers will limit you to just a few connections at once and they may also not like you logging in serveral times in a short amount of time, which is what Opus (or any other FTP client) has to do to upload more than one file at once.[/quote]Thanks. it is probably my hosts settings. I will have dial back my usage of DO when ftp'ing.

Jack

Yes I meant that you should use the Copy button in preference to drag and drop.[/quote]