FTP timeout and retry

Opus freeze sometimes at files copying from/to FTP. I can set "timeout" but after this time Opus just skip file and process another one. Is any option which will retry transfer x times before it skips file?

Is not that some file is bad before copy. If I abort transfer and start again - the same file is copying proper. In DOpus I must do it that way (abort and retry) or (in case of large number of files) copy everything, then compare, then copy missing files.

It should result in an error dialog if a file cannot be copied due to a timeout. If that isn't happening then something is definitely wrong.

What does the FTP log say when that happens?

Does it only happen on certain FTP sites, or with certain file types?

Certain FTP sites but that is not important. I was asking about FTP to be more realiable. After timeout Opus do not show me any dialog, just skip file (I set for that FTP to 10 seconds, because default was too long - I don't want to wait 90 seconds every time file has a problem). Log is too huge to analyze that (I copy thousand of files using copy filter from ftp server).

We would like to investigate this but need to know how to reproduce it. If there is a public (or accessible) server where copying a certain folder seems to trigger the problem, then we can try that to see if it happens for us as well.

It's, unfortunatelly, not public server. I think an extra code that prevent freezing or check is destination filesize equals source after copy (and then asks for action or just retry transfer), will resolve problem. Problem may be in FTP, I don't say that it must be on Opus side, but some improvements into FTP in Opus should be made for prevent bugs like this one in the future. And as I see, similar problem is reported already: Directory Opus FTP - How reliable? - I think it's similar situation. In both cases source and destination sizes are different. I also using FileZilla and has, sometimes, failed transfers - but at least I have a list in FileZilla and can queue failed files again. Unfortunatelly, Opus has copy filter, which is useful in my case, so I prefer to use Opus.

Ok, I know how you can reproduce this problem:

if my Opus registration code is ■■■■ (I assume that you know my registration code) then:

FTP: ftp-uzz.ogicom.pl
LOGIN: opustest.uzz
PASSWORD: AAAAABBBBBCCCCCok (I must added that "ok" at the end because password must contains at leat one small letter).

Now, after login, try to select all files (they're generated by script, because I don't want to put real files for test but it works the same) and turn on copy filter - copy only files with ".opus" extension. You may also try to copy all files (even better). Very soon you should have result - sometimes Opus freezes and some copied files are zero bytes.

I can copy the same files without even one small freeze and using 3 simultaneous connections by FileZilla.

So, please, fix this if it's possible to make Opus FTP more realiable.

Thanks, I can reproduce it now. Please keep that login active as it may take a little while to find a solution.

Ok, I'll keep this account as long as you need.

As I understand (after I read changelog for 12.3.2) is unfixed and I should keep this account longer? I know that may take a while to find a solution - I just want to know is this unfied bug or not updated changelog (I don't installed 12.3.2 yet).

If it was fixed it'd be mentioned in the release notes.

Ok, sorry. I'll keep this FTP account until you tell me is no longer needed.

Thanks peterb for settings this up and to the Devs for investigating.
I don't do much ftp, but when I do I also encountered "situations" in the past.
Every fix or issue resolved on the ftp corner is welcome! o)

1 Like

Today I made test and all files copied without pause or any other problem. I don't know if they (hosting) change something in their servers settings or I have just luck today (or maybe some fix was made I overlooked). I can check it later If that is still needed. I'm afraid that if everything will work later, I have no other server access to give as example for tests.

Another test and everything works ok. So I guess that ftp account start working better, so it's now impossible to investigate described problem on this server. I disabled that FTP account.

@tbone: thank you for your moral support. :slight_smile:

1 Like