FTPS won't work

Hi,
I'm trying to set up a FTPS connection with my university's network. They have explained the procedure here (in English):
https://admin.kuleuven.be/icts/english/ftp/filezilla#web

They explain it with FileZilla (works) and I used Total Commander before (works as well). I use the same settings like TLS etc.

This is the FTP log:

Opening Connection persftp.kuleuven.be:990 220 (vsFTPd 2.2.2) 234 Proceed with negotiation. SSL_connect error 1 TLS/SSL connection to server failed! Connection closed ** Cannot establish SSL Connection.
I can connect to another server using SFTP, so SSL and Windows certificates in use by Directory Opus seem to be fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Joeri

FYI: I found this other thread: [url]Ftps auth tls] and the suggestion to try the FTPS test server:

Connection: Secure TLS Explicit (AUTH TLS) Host address: ftp.secureftp-test.com Port: 21 User name: test Password: test
Didn't work either.

Also, tried to add Directory Opus to Windows 7 firewall, like I did with Total Commander. Didn't work (while Total Commander is able to connect). Tried with the Windows 7 firewall disabled: didn't work either.

Even replaced the ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll with the ones from Total Commander, just in case. Nope.

What else can I try?

I was looking forward to having one Windows Explorer replacement software to also replace my Total Commander, FileZilla and WinSCP. If this FTPS thing is not working, then Directory Opus is pretty pointless to me.

Thanks,
Joeri

"SSL error 1" is a bit generic to diagnose unfortunately. If you turn on the debug log option it may show some more information as to why it's failing.

Ok, here it is (the debug log output):

Initialising SSL BIO... Opening Connection persftp.kuleuven.be:990 220 (vsFTPd 2.2.2) --> AUTH TLS 234 Proceed with negotiation. Establishing SSL Ctrl Connection SSL_connect: 0 SSL_unk:NONE cb in UNKWN before/connect initialization SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_LOOP:NONE UNKWN before/connect initialization SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_LOOP:NONE 3WCH_A SSLv3 write client hello A SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 2:NONE error in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 2:NONE error in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 2:NONE error in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect: 16384 SSL_CB_READ_ALERT:NONE 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 1:NONE failed in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect error 1 TLS/SSL connection to server failed! Connection closed ** Cannot establish SSL Connection.

Thanks,
Joeri

Have you put back the original ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll files which came with Opus? If you haven't, please do so as other versions may not work.

You mentioned you could connect to another server using SFTP; does it still work? Which SFTP mode is it using? Is it actually SFTP or FTP+SSL/TLS? (SFTP is quite different to FTP+SSL/TLS.)

The ftp.secureftp-test.com test server mentioned in the old thread seems to have a different username/password on it these days, which may be the real reason it did not work for you; it doesn't work here either, although the SSL negotation works fine; it then fails because the password is wrong. (You said it didn't work, but did it produce the same error/log?)

I tried connecting to the persftp.keleuven.be server you're trying to connect to and it fails for me, but a little differently (which might be explained by different DLL versions, if you are still using the other ones):

Initialising SSL BIO... Opening Connection persftp.kuleuven.be:990 220 (vsFTPd 2.2.2) --> AUTH TLS 234 Proceed with negotiation. Establishing SSL Ctrl Connection SSL_connect error 1 TLS/SSL connection to server failed! Connection closed ** Cannot establish SSL Connection.

Whether or not the different logs we see are significant, it does work for me with FileZilla (up to the point of logging in, after which it fails as I don't have the right credentials, of course):

00:07:15 Response: 220 (vsFTPd 2.2.2) 00:07:15 Command: AUTH TLS 00:07:15 Response: 234 Proceed with negotiation. 00:07:15 Status: Initializing TLS... 00:07:15 Status: Verifying certificate... 00:07:15 Command: USER anonymous 00:07:15 Status: TLS/SSL connection established.

Based on that, my guess is that the FTP server is using a TLS mode which Opus does not understand, but that's just a guess at this stage.

Hi,
Thanks for looking at my problem.
Here are the answers to your questions:

• yes, I have put back the original DLL's;
  • yes, it is SFTP (I know the difference) and it does still work from within Opus;
  • FileZilla works, using the right credentials;
  • part of my error log for ftp.secureftp-test.com test server:

... SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 2:NONE error in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 2:NONE error in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 2:NONE error in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A SSL_connect: 4096 SSL_CB_CONNECT_EXIT 2:NONE error in 3RSH_A SSLv3 read server hello A TLS/SSL Connect Error - Timeout Error Connection closed ** Cannot establish SSL Connection.
I could ask the ICT department of the university what the specifications of the TLS are.
But I'm pretty sure they will not change a thing because of me and my new software :wink:

Joeri

To be technically correct, it is actually 'FTPS' not 'SFTP'. (FTPS is sometimes called FTPES.) FTPS uses FTP via Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) cryptographic protocols. SFTP uses FTP over an SSH tunnel connection (a la Putty and Putty SFTP) . Universities traditionally use FTP over SSH (SFTP) port 22 rather than SSL FTPS on port 21/990. Also for clarity this server is using SFTP Explicit over port 990 when traditionally Explicit uses port 21 and Implicit uses port 990. Older methods of invoking FTPS security included AUTH TLS and AUTH SSL. In RFC 4217, FTPS compliance required that clients always negotiate using the AUTH TLS method. AUTH SSL is not supported by Opus.

But, that's not relevant to the case and just for clarity. It's not the issue here! :slight_smile:

Opus is using the current OpenSSL libraries (IIRC) and there seems to be some issue with the actual cryptographic method used in Opus and for the vsFTPd server. I ran some tests today with FTPS Explicit port 990 and had no issues connecting to various servers so as expected there's no generic issue. It looks as if this server is a little different from others and perhaps requires a protocol method that is not supported in the Opus SSL implementation, although I'm not exactly clear why.

Could you ask your admin for some details on the protocols they support and if they allow 128/256 etc connections then contact me privately (greg@gpsoft.com.au) with the details and we can run some further indepth debugging sessions to see if we can narrow or address the issue further.

Opus 10.5.2.3 beta has changes which should address this problem and similar ones.

Indeed it has, and thank you Greg and co for addressing my problem.