Gestures

I would like to see support for gestures in Opus - like in Opera or Firefox (with extension). Holding a mouse button down (middle or right?) and dragging left could make opus go back a directory, or up to the parent, dragging right makes it go forward.

I use it all the time in the web browsers and am now hooked!

Alternatively, there could be some way of setting actions when you double-click in an unused portion of a lister, which would activate a definable command. For example, set things up so that double middle-clicking goes to the parent directory.

Have you tried the programs which add gestures to all applications?

I haven't (not into gestures myself) but if they do the job there's probably no need for individual apps to have their own support.

(Well, a bit of configuration overhead aside, but that's not a big deal unless you have hundreds of gestures, which would be difficult to remember and to execute accurately, I guess.)

Apologies if the apps for doing this are all rubbish! I haven't tried them, just heard about them.

Add me to the request list. Gestures are pretty much the last TRUE innovation in operating systems (my guess is, Longhorn will BORROW the concept and make it part of the OS) as far as I am concerned.

As a die hard Opera use, I find myself CONSTANTLY trying to use gestures is Dopus (since its my #2 mostly used program) and of course, they don't work.

I'm not saying we need a HUGE gesture featureset - just something that allows us BASIC folder navigation (if it could mimic Opera's FORWARD and BACK, that would own - I wouldn't have to learn it again).

The problem with 'system wide' gesture programs is that they are often VERY VERY bloated - and since they are resident programs, they run all the time, needed or not. I don't need gestures in my email program, or my html editor or my IM program, etc. Its only in one or two that gestures even make sense.

Anyway, I'm in for gestures in Dopus.

Haha. I am also an Opera user and unthinkingly try to them it in Opus.

You are right that a simple set is all that is needed. I mostly just use Back in Opera, occasionally Forward, and nothing else.

Why not just get a mouse with back and forward buttons on it? :slight_smile:

Native mouse gestures in a program tends to be more responsive and less messy than gestures provided by a third party program. When a program doesn't have native gestures, however, I prefer using StrokeIt.

StrokeIt is very lightweight (using a total of 156 kB of memory on my system right now), and you can configure gestures for a single or a group of programs as you wish.

I've added the three Opera gestures I use the most to DOpus (back, left and up), and they work flawlessly.

The downside is that StrokeIt, and other such software as well, can interfere with i.e. dragging files with the right mouse button (Granted, this exact problem is nearly non-existent when using DOpus, but it does happen from time to time.).

You know, I tried the "Explorer Mouse" with the extra buttons. Maybe I'm old - but its 100% counter intuitive to me - just like the 'tilt wheel' on my current mouse.

But gestures feel perfectly natural (imagine being without a wheel on your mouse - that's how I feel without gestures now).

Not sure I see how clicking one button to go back and another button to go forwards could be counter-intuitive, but I'll take your word for it :slight_smile:

I also prefer gestures over using extra mouse buttons. Regardless of whether it is less intuitive, instinctive or whatever, I just plain do not like the extra mouse buttons. I currently use a mouse without the extra buttons, but I have one of the original Intellimouse Explorers and find that the two extra buttons are badly placesd for easy access, and using them somehow interrupts the 'flow' when using the mouse, whereas gestures do not.

I might give StrokeIt a whirl and see how it goes.

Try a Logitech MX700 or similar, it has back and forward buttons right where your thumb lives (unless you're left handed admittedly). I couldn't live without them now, they're as important as the scroll wheel is.

Button placement on the older MS Explorer mice was indeed awful. I've got one at work and I've completely disabled the buttons.

MX700 at home and I use all of the buttons as they're very well placed to be easy to use but also unlikely to be pressed by accident.

[quote]
blurble wrote:
I would like to see support for gestures in Opus - like in Opera or Firefox (with extension). Holding a mouse button down (middle or right?) and dragging left could make opus go back a directory, or up to the parent, dragging right makes it go forward.[/quote]

I've also become very attached to gestures, though I still prefer using Internet Explorer. I found an add-in for IE that someone wrote that enables gestures in IE. It was written as part of an article...

The article and code can be found at codeproject.com/atl/MouseGestures.asp

The add-in is also available as an install package for those like me who have no interest in the article or source code and just want gestures in Internet Explorer.

Maybe Jon and Greg can find what they need to add mouse gestures to Directory Opus without too much work.

That would be so sweet...

I would prefer gestures to extra mouse buttons, even if the buttons are in a better position.

I also used to have various problems with Logitech mouse drivers. There were certain programs that had problems with them, and they seemed a trifle unstable. I had more system crashes while the logitech drivers were in use.
Maybe that is fixed now, maybe it isn't, but I went off logitech mice. I use a plain Microsoft blue mouse with none of their extra mouse driver stuff.