Ghost/ Set color Empty folders

Dopus German Rival 'Speed Commander' has a nifty feature 'ghost empty folders. Since Opus doesn't have this feature I was wondering if it is possible to have Opus check file sizes of folders and if it's empty then set a color for these Folders.

If this is not possible I would like this: If I'm in an empty folder. I would like to delete the current folder and go one up. Selecting the next folder that was after the deleted one..How to achieve this?

If you click the Get Sizes button on the toolbar (or turn on automatic folder-size calculation, but that's annoying IMO due to all the HDD access when you don't care about the sizes) then Opus will show you the size of folders.

You can then sort by the size and select all the "empty" or "0 bytes" folders and delete them (or set colours for them*), if that's your aim.

"empty" means the folder is literally empty.

"0 bytes" means the folder isn't empty, but it only contains 0-byte files/folders.

(*The colours will stay that way if the folders become non-empty, though.)

Screenshot below.

On the default toolbar (not shown in my screenshot) the Get Sizes button is tucked away on the middle-mouse-button action of the Create Folder button. I use it a lot so I moved it to its own left-click action/button.

I know about the get sizes button. I even have get sizes enabled for everything. But the thing is I rarely have details view on. So I was wondering if you can somehow automatically set color to empty folders . 99% of the time my empty folders are ready to be deleted. And since I use the list view very often I can't see which folders are empty.

But I presumed the first question wasn't possible anyway.

But how to get the second one? :
If I'm in an empty folder. I would like to delete the current folder and go one up. Selecting the next folder that was after the deleted one..How to achieve this?

This should do that, although the "select next item" part will only work if you entered the child folder via the parent.

(If you navigated to the child directly, or via the folder tree, then something else will probably end up selected. This is because it relies on the cached parent folder having the child item selected from when you double-clicked on it to enter it, and then tells Opus to select the next item before deleting the child.)

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="both" textcol="none"> <label>Delete Current Folder If Empty</label> <icon1>#opentoolbar</icon1> <function type="batch"> <instruction>@set ChildPath={sourcepath$|noterm}</instruction> <instruction>@runmode hide</instruction> <instruction>Go UP BACK</instruction> <instruction>Select NEXT</instruction> <instruction>rmdir {$ChildPath}</instruction> </function> </button>

(It's adapted from this similar button.)

Hopefully that doesn't mean that you actually have the 'Calculate folder sizes automatically" option enabled... If you're not normally operating in details or power mode, then that's alot of the disk thrashing Leo mentioned for no reason if you're not even displaying the size column.

Why not make a button that enables details for you AND runs the get sizes function AND sorts by size so you can easily see your empty and 0 byte folders in order to delete them without having to navigate into everything?

[Find only directories?)

@leo thanks...My collection of useful timesaving buttons grow :slight_smile:

[quote="steje"]
Hopefully that doesn't mean that you actually have the 'Calculate folder sizes automatically" option enabled... If you're not normally operating in details or power mode, then that's alot of the disk thrashing.[/quote]
Yes that's what I menat.:slight_smile: Is the disk trashing also going on when you're not in details view? Because as long as opus isn't displaying sizes it won't disk trash right?

[quote="steje"]
Why not make a button that enables details for you AND runs the get sizes function AND sorts by size so you can easily see your empty and 0 byte folders in order to delete them without having to navigate into everything?[/quote] :slight_smile:
This one is useful as well I admit. +1 for my collection , but for the times I find myself in an empty folder this is what I need? thanks

If automatic size calculation is on then it happens in all modes. (So that when you switch to Details the sizes are already there, I guess.)

BTW, thrashing rather than trashing. :slight_smile: It shouldn't break the disk, it'll just make a noise and slow down other disk operations while it's reading the size information.

Yes, but excessive thrashing can eventually lead to trashing. :wink:

:smiley: Sorry for my english. I didn't now what thrashing meant. But I reckoned it had something to do with the rattling of the HDD.

Ok i will disable the automatic seize measuring. Thanks for the tip.