HEIC / HEVC metadata support

I just downloaded photos from my new iPhone 8 and got the .heic format. Looked around - also installed/bought the MS HEVC codec .. but I'm missing the metadata in DO (12.11).

Thanks

PS: also the .jpeg variations are downloaded and show the metadata.

Which types of metadata are you missing?

Opus should show basic width, height, depth etc. information for HEIC (assuming HEIC is working on the system in general, i.e. you can display the images in the Opus viewer). I don't think we support extra metadata like EXIF for it yet.

I only see this in DO 12.11 ...

2019-01-06_18-17-20

The .jpeg shows the complete information.

Both .heic + .jpeg files are downloaed automatically via Apple's iCloud Windows program in background.

2019-01-06_18-20-45

Does this mean Apple's iOS 12.1.2 doesn't store meta data in .heic files?

PS:

It looks like they don't store any meta data in .heic files .. :frowning:

Switched to hex format and can't find any readable values or data like "Camera model" (iPhone 8), "Camera make" (Apple), etc, etc.

2019-01-06_18-23-59

PSS: Leo, also no basics like width, height, depth, etc. is shown in .heic file ... but I can view the picture in DO - after I've installed/bought the HEVC codec for 0,99 EUR on MS store. :frowning:

The basic metadata should be in file display columns. The metadata editor doesn't know about the format at all yet.

HEIC support in just about everything is very basic so far. It's a very new format. The current Windows codecs don't support alpha channels, let alone animations or several of the format's features.

Things will improve in time if the format continues to grow in popularity and become more widespread outside of iPhone snaps.

Thanks a lot Leo, wondering that Apple doesn't implement all the meta data from scratch. Shouldn't be so much overhead compared to other implementations. :wink:

I will set Camera / Formats / to max. compatibility instead of High Efficiency - then .jpeg should be only used until there is more meta data support.

Hi @Leo ,

Has there been any progress since 2019 on the metadata front? When I use other software, the metadata is there, and when I convert the images to JPG (using heif-convert command line) the metadata is in the JPG..

Is it simply a matter of installing the right plugins? I have the various format support apps installed and they work for viewing and thumbnails, just not metadata.

Even file explorer shows the metadata in the details pane.

I would love first class HEIC support for images (and HEIF formats in general)..

Thanks

If File Explorer can show the metadata then it should be possible to import those columns into Opus to see the same things. (It would still be read-only though.)

Exact details would depend on which metadata you need to see.

For me, the minimum would be along the lines of

• camera make
  • camera model
  • resolution
  • f-stop/iso/exposure
  • date/time taken
  • GPS Lat/Lng/Alt

Optionally, well everything.

This is what I see in the windows preview pane. DOpus usually has more. If explorer has a plugin to parse the data, shouldn't that be enough for DOpus?

Thanks

I'm running into the same issue. HEIC is listed under the Images file type just fine, also has all the information show in Windows and under Properties, yet in Opus it shows a lot less (both in the columns and hovers).

HEIC in Opus:

HEIC in Windows/Properties:

JPG:

Here's an example script which imports columns from File Explorer into Opus:

And details on how to find the names of other columns:

That should let you add the data into Opus.

(We'll be making this easier in the future.)

How to get it into the Info Panel (on hover) or in the Tiles Mode? I feel really dumb trying to figure this out.

Via the File Types Editor:

What a journey. Somehow, I couldn't get it to work basing it on 'Video length, dimensions, framerate, definition columns' (first just replacing the column names, then reducing it down, to no avail and alongside mixing things up with existing columns), but then I stumbled up this similar sample VBScript in the manual of all places (I didn't get it as a result when looking for it in there before):

Adding a new Column from Shell Properties.

For the scripts launching onInit, it caused some extra issue with deleted attempts still being recognized until rebooting Opus, but it ended up working just fine basing it and expanding on that.

I definitely can see this being made simpler, especially with the final code becoming {scp:scriptName/shellColumnName}, so I could see that being nicely reduced down to an internal function like {scn:shellColumnName}. But however it will be tackled and improved, I'm sure it will be great!

Thanks!

1 Like

Why is this still not working? Even in version 13? While 13 has a HEIC viewer, the meta plane doesn’t show anything (while Windows DOES)..

The metadata panel is for metadata you can edit, and we don't support editing metadata in HEIC images yet.

You can display some read-only HEIC metadata about them in file display columns (and any column File Explorer shows can also be added to Opus via Preferences / File Display Columns / Shell Properties, if Explorer shows something that Opus doesn't).