Help Invoked on Directory Opus Startup

The Directory Opus "Help dialog" is activated the 1st time that Directory Opus is started after a Windows 7 OS startup.

Subsequent Directory Opus application "Start/stop" do not activated the Help dialog.

The first time you run Opus after installing a new version it opens the page telling you what's new in the new version.

This behavior, i.e. "Directory Opus 'Help dialog' activating the 1st time that Directory Opus is started after a Windows 7 OS startup." The second time Directory Opus is activated after OS startup, the 'Help dialog' is not activated.

Leo replied that the first time Directory Opus 10 is started after the patch/upgrade, Help is invoked. Well, Help is invoked "each and every time" Directory Opus 10 (version 10.5.0.0, x64) is started after my computer is started in the morning.

I turn my computer off at night and turn the computer on in the morning.

How do I stop this behavior which is stated above?

OK, that's different to what you said in both previous posts.

If the release notes appear every time you start Opus, type /dopusdata into the Opus location field and push return. There should be a file called userdata.omd where you now are.

When was userdata.omd last modified?

If you view the file, what values does it have for last_version_low and last_version_high?

If you open userdata.omd in Notepad, are you able to save changes to it? For example, change the last_version_low number to 3, save the file, then exit Notepad and open the file again in a new instance of Notepad. Was the change saved or has the file gone back to how it was?

(1) When was userdata.omd last modified?

File "userdata.omd" was last modified on 12/14/2009.
The file permissions for file "userdata.omd" are the following: -ah--

(2) If you view the file, what values does it have for last_version_low and last_version_high?

There were no entries for either "last_version_low" or "last_version_high." The contents for file "userdata.omd" are the following:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<opus_meta_data config_type="private" />

(3) If you open userdata.omd in Notepad, are you able to save changes to it? For example, change the last_version_low number to 3, save the file, then exit Notepad and open the file again in a new instance of Notepad. Was the change saved or has the file gone back to how it was?

I did not modify and save file "userdata.omd."

The H (hidden) attribute should not be on that file, and will cause the problem you're seeing. Remove the H attribute by right-clicking the file and selecting Properties.

We'll also add a code change so that if the H attribute is set it will be cleared. (We already do this for most config files, but not for a few that are processed very early on during startup.)

Leo,
(1) I deselected the "hidden" attribute for file userdata.omd.
(2) I restarted the Windows 7 OS.
(3) I started Directory Opus 10 and the Help dialog reappeared.
(4) I opened file userdata.omd and the following data appeared:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<opus_meta_data config_type="private" jump_list="-65008" lastfeed_high="0" lastfeed_low="0" last_version_low="0" last_version_high="655365" />

(5) As instructed in your previous post, I changed last_version_low="0" to last_version_low="3" and saved file userdata.omd; I then restated the Windows OS.
(6) After the Windows OS restart, I started Directory Opus 10. The Help dialog did not appear/start.
(7) The data in file userdata.omd is now the following:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<opus_meta_data config_type="private" jump_list="-65008" lastfeed_high="0" lastfeed_low="0" last_version_low="3" last_version_high="655365" />

(8) Is this the solution to my problem and/or is there more to be done?

That's all you need to to. (Step 1 was all that was really needed, but the other steps won't cause any problems.)

The fix would take place after the time Opus starts, which is why you saw the Help dialog once more. You shouldn't see it again until you install a newer version.