Help I've Lost My Favorite Feature

I was having trouble saving the default lister. And this problem has occurred before but I just couldn't seem to resolve it this time. Anyway to make a long story short I uninstalled and reinstalled DO to solve the problem of not picking up my default lister layout and it worked. I don't know where it was getting the incorrect info but problem solved however...

There was a command that I use to put on my toolbar that would work like a drop down only showing every extension that was in the given folder with a checkbox in front to select just those extensions you wanted to see. I know that it had an odd name and although I thought of it as a filter I don't think that was what it was called. I've gone down through the list of commands like 10 times and just can't seem to find it. I hope it hasn't been removed!

Sounds like you had Preferences / File Displays / Filter Bar: Display Filter Bar: Always turned on. This will show up on the bottom of the file display.

Thanks so much. I think a while back I remembered having to drag it onto a toolbar. This is easier just hope I remember it. DO has so many options it is hard to remember everything.

I don't recall there ever being code or a button that could be made into a dynamic drop-down that works the same as the Filter Bar does. I think there was even a discussion about replicating that at one point.

Jon, Leo or some other programming guru would have to chime in on that :slight_smile:

The Filter Bar is awesome. I have mine always turned on and I use it every day. If you ask me, it's a must have option to turn on. Don't forget that the File and Folder icons are clickable to quickly filter showing all files or all folders.

There's the old File Filter Field which you can drag to your toolbar. It is fairly similar to the newer Filter Bar.

But, from your description of the drop-down menu having checkboxes, it sounds like you were using the Filter Bar and not anything you'd drag to a toolbar.

[quote="ktbcrash"]I don't recall there ever being code or a button that could be made into a dynamic drop-down that works the same as the Filter Bar does. I think there was even a discussion about replicating that at one point.

The Filter Bar is awesome. I have mine always turned on and I use it every day. If you ask me, it's a must have option to turn on. Don't forget that the File and Folder icons are clickable to quickly filter showing all files or all folders.[/quote]

Maybe I'm remembering wrong :unamused:

You're talking about the Show all files, show all folders and hide all files and hide all folders to the left of the filter bar or something else?

Correct.

I just came across what I suspect is probably a bug. The filter bar does not work on folders with extensions. I don't know what the thinking behind this would be but it seems to me that it should filter everything the same. It does work if you type in the filter manually but that kind of destroys the functionality of the filter bar.

I'm not hellbent on the functionality working one way or the other because folders are rarely setup with extensions however I could see their being a good reason behind adding an extension to a folder to pull together similar file groups like maybe all video, images and sounds could all be put in folders with a .mul making it easy to find anything related to multimedia regardless of the product that may have installed them or with which they're associated without having to keep tract of an exhaustive list of the hundreds of file types. Similar to DO's File Groups. But not everyone is as smart as we are that use DO :smiley:

In DO you can't associate one file type with multiple file groups however...something I attempted to do at one point was to create a new file group for my audio albums as opposed to my singles so I could setup different Folder Format but I had to change the file types for the albums to separate them which meant I had to create an association with a program as well potentially confusing my file type with a type that some other program might choose to use. This would have been a good place for using folder.abm to control the layout. Just kind of thinking out loud. I guess I could've just put them into a separate folder and used a Path Format but I didn't like that because then if I was doing a random play they would be skipped. It sure is an imperfect world.

Maybe in all your posts you've read or come across you might also come up with a more profound reason something like this would make sense?

And let me ask this. What was the thinking on putting the Filter Bar in the Preferences rather than treating it like a command that you could drag onto any toolbar using the customize?

I don't know why I seem to recall the Filter Type being a command at one time but I swear it was...I always remember when I would do a clean install I had such trouble finding it because it had a strange name. Now maybe I'm crazy...my friends would suggest as much :open_mouth:...but I don't think so.

Please ask one question per thread, else it is going to be impossible to keep track of everything and answer all the different questions meaningfully.

With the folder/extension filter, please give some examples. (But in another thread. This thread's question has been answered, I think, so let's close it and move to new threads for anything else you want to ask about.)