Help tool images

When I open the Help tool the images that are embedded in the right-hand pane are shown as small rectangular outlined boxes with smaller black boxes inside them, which themselves have a white letter "x" in them. Some of these are links which I can click and go to the appropriate page (I guess), but most of them are images which have the name of the image to the right of each box, e.g., "DOpus 11 Box Small.png". See attachment.

Help file does not display correctly has some suggestions.

You may also want to check your Internet Explorer settings and anti-virus in case they are blocking images from being shown on local content.

Had already seen and checked "Help file does not display correctly" without any result. I'm not using IE but I did check the settings there and the settings for Chrome and both are set to allow images.
I can't say with certainty but I believe that this problem might have occurred at the same time (a few weeks ago) as the images disappearing from my email preview in Outlook (2010) when a tech helping me with an IE problem with his site, suggested that I delete all of IE's history/cookies/temporary files. Afterwards I had the Outlook problem, I didn't notice the Opus problem until yesterday when I was about to search for an item with their Help tool.
I used the Microsoft KB2638687 solution in an attempt to fix the Outlook problem but it didn't work. I had two MS techs spend a couple of hours each, probing and prodding my setup only to also fail and suggest paid support escalation, which I am considering.

We've never seen that before but it sounds like some system components are broken. The help file viewer is based on IE and it's all part of Windows, aside from the help file itself.

Something probably needs reinstalling, but it could be many different things.

Have you tried the usual "sfc /scannow" steps? Microsoft always suggest them and they're almost never the solution, but they might be in a situation like there where it's likely a system DLL is either damaged or its registry settings have been broken.