Help with new user issues

I just downloaded Directory Opus 8 on Sunday for a trial period. I am looking for something that is more powerful than the Windows Explorer. I tried the PC Magazine’s Editors Choice – Explorer Plus but it would crash and do strange things. Directory Opus 8 seems to work wonderful and has very nice features.

Here are a few problems that I would like to know if there is a solution to. The first and most important one seems trivial but I cannot find a cure. When I click on the Icon to start the program the first time, it just places an Icon on the right side of the taskbar (started in the background). The second click on the Icon starts the program but minimized. The question I have is – How can I make the software start on the first click without the background starting first? – The second question is how can I make the program start full screen? I set the properties to “Maximized” instead of “Normal” but this had no effect. The program still starts as a ½-screen window. The third question is how I can make the background Icon close when I exit the program. I would like the program to start up maximized on the first click and completely close when I exit. 

The next problem is the missing “My Network Places” from the directory tree. I use this feature constantly because my laptop is connected to an office network at different times during the day but not at all times. The office network is large and mapping drives is not an option. I would like the “My Network Place” to be in the right side tree. I would also like to save the network tree in a Lister Style that would remember the opened branches and computers that I access regularly. I also have a problem with other computers on the network accessing my files since the installation of Directory Opus 8. The other computers get an error message that says, “Access is denied” even though I have sharing enabled. Does Directory Opus 8 affect the file sharing locks? I can copy and move files to the other computers but they cannot copy or move files on my computer. The other users can see my files on their computer but that is all they can do. I also have trouble moving or copying files from other users because the network files only show on the right side without the ability to see the tree on the left side. I cannot seem to view the network files on the right and then scroll to the directory on my computer – open the tree branches and then copy or move the files. This was straightforward and simple with Windows Explorer. Am I doing something wrong?  

The next issue has to do with the Lister Styles. I have Lister Style tabs for the directories I use most and I save the entire view, as I want it to look. The problem is – the first time I click on the tab, it displays the tree and the files correctly. If I switch from one tab to another, it will not close the previous tree branches. If you click another tab, the tree expands further but it is now listing the directories out of the window tree and it just highlights the one at the very bottom of the tree. I then have to scroll the tree back up to see it. Is there anyway to make the tree view saved in the Lister Style stay exactly as I saved it? It should collapse the open trees as needed.

If I could get this issues resolved I would buy this software in a minute. The other features I have tried so far are extremely convenient and the program is very fast. Could one of you help me for a few minutes? Thanks in advance.

OK. Lots of questions:)

1. Remember that Opus is highly multi-threaded unlike the other monolithic programs you mention. When you first run the program, the main background task is run and this spawns threads for Listers, actions, dialogs etc as required by your actions. (Note there are a variety of ways for initially run Opus and each of these 'can' have different behaviour depending on how you have set this up and what you do.) Starting from the Start Menu, or on system boot, when first run, Opus can open file display Listers if you wish. This is controlled by the options in Start-up. When it opens Listers, the state, paths etc are controlled by Layout and the Opening Listers tab plus the Default Folders.

By default on install, I think that when you Opus runs it will be set to reopen Listers using the details of last closed Lister(s) (The Default Lister) and also set it to remember the initial folders. You can change all this from the above settings. You can set Opus to always open the same display, maximised if you wish.

When you close a Lister you do not quit the program, you are just closing that thread. Opus is specifically designed for you to have as many Listers, actions and dialogs open at the one time as you wish. If you do ever want to fully quit the program then you do so from the tray icon (light bulb) menu and Exit.

Please have a read of the first few chapters of the manual to get a better idea of how Opus operates.

1. 'My Network Places' comes from the OS and will be in each Lister folder tree if it is provided by Windows itself - just like in Windows Explorer. Opus just asks Windows for the data for the tree, so on all normal systems with standard networking this will appear as normal in Opus and in Explorer. I have seen this item take a while to appear in Windows Explorer if the network is very slow, but the behaviour is the same in Opus and WE.

2. "Access denied" is nothing to do with Opus. This sounds like you do not have correct user permissions set on the network drives. Opus just obeys the permissions in the same manner as Windows Explorer and cannot have any direct effect on these.

3. Lister Styles. These things can be set in the Lister Styles definitions. Edit the Lister styles and see what you have set. Some will have settings that do not override the current state of various elements. You can edit these as you wish. (See manual of context help for details of each element if it is not clear.)

__
Regards, Greg

Preferences, Startup.

If you set Startup to open according to the Layout section of preferences then go to Preferences, Layout, Default Settings and tick the Maximized box.

You could also open a lister, make it maximized and then save that to a named layout via Preferences, Layout, Saved Layouts (there's also a toolbar button for saving the current lister(s) into a layout without opening preferences). You can then specify the named layout that you saved to be opened on Startup.

Exit the program using the Exit command. You can move it onto a toolbar directly for easy access if you want.

When you close a lister you are not exiting Opus, you're just closing one of its windows. Opus stays around so that the next time you open a window it is instant and also so that it can provide features such as system-wide (global) hotkeys, desktop toolbars, etc. If you want Opus to completely unload you have to tell it to Exit.

Check Preferences, Listers, Folder Tree. I have mine set to start at the Desktop level and My Network Places appears below that in my trees.

It'll either appear in all trees or in none. You can't specify different starting points and filtering options for the left and right tree.

I don't think the Styles nor Layout systems will remember open tree branches. You'd be better off making a menu of favorites or a menu with buttons which use the Go command to go to commonly used places.

Opus shouldn't have anything to do with that. Unless you're viewing a file with Opus it shouldn't have any reason to lock it. Sounds like something else has changed your file/share permissioning. You can prove to yourself that it isn't Opus if you exit Opus and find that other people still can't copy files from your machine.

Have you turned on the tree for one side of the lister but not the other or something? In Opus you can either have separate trees dedicated to each side (and either side's tree can be turned off) or you can share a single tree between both sides. (Or you can turn off both trees, of course.) You probably want to turn off the sharing option via Preferences, Listers, Folder Tree, Share single Tree between dual file displays.

I don't know or a way to change that behaviour. There's the Spring-loaded option in the tree preferences but I think that only applies when dropping items on the tree. What I guess you want is like the option in Explorer that's called something like "simple tree view" where it collapses everything but the currently open directory.