Hidden drives not hidden after upgrade to 10.5.1.00

I just allowed the automatic update of Dopus from 10.5 to 10.5.1, and now my empty CD drives and empty virtual drives are displayed in the folder tree.
I cannot find a setting to hide them again. switching the option to hide empty drives only hides/unhides my card readers and no longer affects the CD/virtual drives.

Was a new switch added that I cannot find, or is this a bug/feature?

Try fully exiting and restarting Opus. (Dont just close the window, use File > Exit Directory Opus)

that got it.. Thanks!

Well, it got it for awhile. It comes back on a regular basis requiring a "quit via file menu"

Any way I can downgrade to 10.5 until this gets sorted out?

If you link your account and let me know if you need the 32-bit or 64-bit version then I can upload 10.5 to a website for you.

Do the CD drives show up in Explorer's folder tree?

OK, accounts are linked.

I've done some testing, and this is a bit weird. I have 2 disk drives and 2 virtual drives (virtual clone drive)

Yes, they are shown in "computer" and "explorer", but not in the folder tree. see the attachment.

When I restart the computer, they show up in Dopus, IF dopus is set to start automatically at startup (in the background via Dopus startup options)
If I shut down dopus, they go away.. mostly, for that session. (opening Dopus while a drive is reading a disk shows all disk drives in dopus until another shutdown)

If I set dopus NOT to start on startup, they do not show up.

I swear they weren't doing this until I upgraded.

I also have another issue, not related to disk drives.

I recently joined the mobile revolution and got a Samsung G3. I use the camera.
transferring jpg files from the phone from to the PC via dopus is a pain. V 10 or 10.5, I can see no difference.

Let me explain. I plug the phone in to the PC via USB, I get the friendly "what do you want to do" window from Microsoft.
I close it and open a lister (dual pane) I select the phone, then the card on the phone, then the camera directory.
Dopus enumerates and displays the files fine, but when I try to copy or move one, there is a 30-60 second delay, and the lister goes whitish as it processes.
Eventually, it will allow me to move/copy. I can view the files in a viewer immediately, but cannot move/copy them without a delay.

I have no such restriction in Explorer.

should I open another post about this?

oh, and its the 32 bit version... thanks

So you're actually saying the drives are not visible in the tree in Explorer?
Opus has no effect over that. You probably want to turn on the Explorer option to show all folders (I can't remember what it's called off-hand).

Regarding your other issue, please open a separate thread so as not to make this thread confusing.

No, what I'm saying is that under normal conditions, they are visible in dopus, when they are not supposed to be. I was responding, with the visible in explorer, to the previous post that asked if they were or not.

Update:
OK, this is a bit odd, but I'll post it anyway.

Just for a bit of background, I run a dual boot system, Win7 and XP. I use XP and a program called fastcopy (which will copy junction points as junction points) to make a backup copy of 7 from within XP. I can also restore it as well.
It's handy when I install something.. (or suspect I've caught something)

Anyway, I recently began experiencing some issues that were self induced and restored from a backup which had a Dopus 10.2 installed.
I upgraded to Dopus 10.5.1 and the drive visibility issue did not appear like last time.
So either the upgrade process from 10.2-10.5-10.5.1 was the issue, or another program/driver was at fault.

Either way, it works now like it is supposed to, so... problem solved! :smiley:

Not to dampen your enthusiasm - but I also encounter this problem FREQUENTLY though not consistently... In other words, I haven't managed to pay enough attention to the circumstances when it happens and when it doesn't, or what pattern of actions I've taken when it does or doesn't happen that might contribute to the issue.

I also use VCD for my virtual optical drives (I have 4 of them enabled)... and I regularly see the 4 drives showing in the folder tree as empty after I've dismounted the ISO images from them. Similarly, I ALSO often see the folder tree still show the drives in the tree with the ISO still mounted, even though that is no longer the case. My particular situation may be impacted by the fact that there is a group policy in my corporate environment to disable autorun on all removable devices... and when I log into the domain, that setting periodically gets re-enabled... needing me to disable it every so often as I like autorun enabled. Though I'm not certain the autorun setting impacts whatever system device arrival/removal or change notification stuff Opus relies on to be kept aware of changes in device status... but I assume it to at least potentially complicate things and perhaps explain some of the inconsistencies in my own experiences...

Short story long... I wouldn't be surprised if you see it again :slight_smile:

Maybe related, maybe not. I currently use 10.5.1.2. I have one optical drive, no virtual drives. I don't use a folder tree. Normally, my optical drive is not shown in my lister when empty, but occasionally it is. I haven't discovered whether there is a particular sequence of actions that results in the empty drive being shown.

I've seen the same sort of problem affect Explorer (just this week in fact). Sometimes Windows or the drivers or (if applicable) hardware do a poor job of noticing/reporting media changes, which can lead to Opus and/or Explorer getting confused about the state of the drives sometimes (not always both at once).

[quote="steje"]Not to dampen your enthusiasm - but I also encounter this problem FREQUENTLY though not consistently... In other words, I haven't managed to pay enough attention to the circumstances when it happens and when it doesn't, or what pattern of actions I've taken when it does or doesn't happen that might contribute to the issue.

I also use VCD for my virtual optical drives (I have 4 of them enabled)... and I regularly see the 4 drives showing in the folder tree as empty after I've dismounted the ISO images from them. Similarly, I ALSO often see the folder tree still show the drives in the tree with the ISO still mounted, even though that is no longer the case. My particular situation may be impacted by the fact that there is a group policy in my corporate environment to disable autorun on all removable devices... and when I log into the domain, that setting periodically gets re-enabled... needing me to disable it every so often as I like autorun enabled. Though I'm not certain the autorun setting impacts whatever system device arrival/removal or change notification stuff Opus relies on to be kept aware of changes in device status... but I assume it to at least potentially complicate things and perhaps explain some of the inconsistencies in my own experiences...

Short story long... I wouldn't be surprised if you see it again :slight_smile:[/quote]

Damned if your not right. I restarted for about the 5th or 6th time and there they were...
Crappity crap crap crap. :frowning:

Well, I reinstalled from a backup to start over, and went from 10.2 to 10.5, NP (Thanks Leo)

Guess what... everything was fine for a short while then back to drive display issues, AND misc Dopus listers appearing at boot to desktop.
I disabled "replace explorer with dopus" in dopus, and the problem persisted, except it was explorer that popped up at boot, therefor not a dopus issue.
I ran msconfig and closed all of the Adobe entries (I had just recently upgraded flash to ver 11) and the problem went away... as well as the empty drive issue.
I reenabled the adobe programs one at a time and the problem has not reappeared as of yet. I plan to keep an eye on it.

I have always suspected this was a racetrack issue with another program, or Windows itself. If I ever find the culprit, I'll post the info here.
I suspect adobe, just because they run so much crap in the background when they don't need too, but I cannot prove it yet

Well, its mid july... 6 weeks since I posted last, and still no issues! Looks like it was adobe after all!

Didn't you say you re-enabled all the Adobe stuff though?

Not to seem a habitual bit of rain on your parade :wink:... but as I mentioned, I see these issues regularly - and I don't have any Adobe junk loading at startup. I only have Flash and Shockwave installed anyway - no reader or pdf stuff.

If you remain successful, then that's great!

I did, then I disabled the adobe stuff again because I don't need/want it running. Its been like that for over a month.
It probably (guessing) has something to do with Adobe updater.