Hide folder and show file filter persisting from folder to folder

I'm having a problem with the Hide Folder Filter and show file filter persisting to all my default folders. This only occurs after I run the following code:

@if:Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME=grp:Videos
Set FORMAT "zz[temp]"
Set FLATVIEW=off

@if:else
Set SAVEFORMAT=favorite FORMAT "zz[temp]"
Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME=grp:Videos
Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS=*
Set FLATVIEW={$glob!:VOFlatView}
Select SIZE {$glob!:VOIgnoreSmallFiles} DESELECTNOMATCH HIDESEL

@toggle:if Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME=grp:Videos

I also have a settings button that's used in conjunction with this:

@set glob!:VOFlatView={dlgchoose|Enable Flatview?|Yes=on,MixedNoFolders+No=off}
@set glob!:VOIgnoreSmallFiles={dlgchoose|Ignore Small Files?|Yes=<30mb+No=<0mb}

Using the default settings for my button, I click on it and it does it's thing. Once complete, let's say I move to another folder. The following appears to be getting applied to every folder that uses the default format:

"grp:Videos" under Show filters file names
"*" under the hide filter folder names

It's not permanent. It only affects that tab and it goes away if I close and re-open the Lister. I also found that if I go into the folder options and remove the above filters, it removes it from all the folders even without saving the folder format. It does not affect any folder with a format I have made, only folders that use the user default format. I checked the user default format in the preferences and it did not appear to have the above filters.

In addition, if I re-apply the zz[temp] temp format like my button code does when it is turning off, it fixes the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Run set format=!folder when you want to undo any temporary changes to the current format, and revert back to the one you'd get if you opened the current folder in a brand new tab.

1 Like

Thanks Leo! That mostly fixed the issue! The last little bit is that for some reason the button is still appearing highlighted after I toggle it on and then off again.

This is the toggle condition:

It should only appear highlighted when the above condition is met yet even when I click it the 2nd time to turn it off and include the command you provided, it still appears highlighted. I tried adding another @toggle command but it did not do anything nor did changing the place in the code of the @toggle line. It's not mentioned in the reference as far as I can see but does this mean only one @toggle command can be used and it's position doesn't matter?

I had to simplify the button as I don't have the same formats set up, but this seems to toggle fine:

Set FORMAT=!folder

However, I would move the @toggle line to the top, since it's in an @if:else statement in the original version, which may mean it's filtered out half the time (depending on the order things get processed; best not to depend on that at all).

Set FORMAT=!folder
1 Like

Thanks Leo, that did it!

Unfortunately it looks like it didn't fix the issue. This issue popped up again today. I've created a gif to illustrate the issue:

Here are screenshots of the folder settings for the folder shown at the end of the video:

Also I should add, for some reason the * in the hide folder filter doesn't seem to be hiding any folders. It hides folders when I add it manually but not when done through the button. Here is the latest code (all defaults were used when experiencing issues. Defaults are listed in the code below):

// Checking if configured.  If not, defaults are loaded.
@if:!$glob!:VOFlatView
@set glob!:VOFlatView=on,mixed

@if:!glob!:VOIgnoreSmallFiles
@set glob!:VOIgnoreSmallFiles=<30mb

@if:!glob!:VOHideFolders
@set glob!:VOHideFolders=*

// Turing button off
@if:Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME=grp:videos
Set FORMAT=!folder
Set FLATVIEW=off

// Turing button on
Set SHOWFILTERFILENAME=grp:videos
Set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS={$glob!:VOHideFolders}
Set FLATVIEW={$glob!:VOFlatView}
Select SIZE {$glob!:VOIgnoreSmallFiles} DESELECTNOMATCH HIDESEL

I found the solution to both the issues I was having.

Apparently if you apply hide/show filters before going into flatview, those filters are preserved and re-applied when exiting flatview. In other words, I had to switch up the code so that Flat View was applied first and then the hide/show filters. In addition, I made sure to clear folder settings(Set FORMAT=!folder) after flatview was exited.

The 2nd issue I was having, where * was not hiding all folders, was also caused by flatview. I do not know why but it seems flatview ignores hidefolderfilter. I had to instead apply a flatview mode that has folders off by default. For when flatview is off, the button will instead use * and hides all folders as it should.

You can change that via Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: [Behavior] flatview_folder_filters (there's also a checkbox when the Filter Bar is active).

It's off by default because what it does confuses a lot of people. If a folder is filtered out of Flat View then the folder and everything below it is excluded.

1 Like

Ah, it definitely makes sense now why you guys would set it up like that. That would confuse me as well unless I knew about it. I definitely don't want to filter out everything below the folder as well.

Thanks Leo!