High CPU and memory when starting Explorer or Opus

When i start windows 10, explorer runs hight consum of cpu and memory. This occurs when open directory opus. Why?

Explorer has the high CPU/memory, not Opus, when you launch Opus? That seems unusual at least.

How much CPU/memory use are we talking about and for how long?

Both. Explorer when start windows, and directory opus when launch it. Both remain 4-5 minutes and CPU to 90-97 and Memory until 3GB
Ambos. Explorer cuando inicio windows y Directory Opus cuando lo abro. Ambos permanecen 4-5 minutos y la CPU llega a los 90-97 y la Memoria hasta 3 GB.
Sorry my bad english. I'm spanish.
Salud2

Your English is better than my Spanish, don't worry. :slight_smile:

If it's affecting both Opus and Explorer, it will (almost certainly) be something outside of Opus which is causing the problem.

If it only started happening recently, the most likely cause is a shell extension installed by something that was installed or updated recently (e.g. cloud storage and source control tools can install shell extensions which talk to the network and slow things down if they aren't working properly). Antivirus could also be a factor, potentially.

• The ShellExView tool can be used to see which shell extensions are installed and try disabling some. It's best to disable lots at a time, then reboot, and see if the problem has gone away. If it has, you know one of the ones you disabled was probably causing the problem. But if the problem is still there, you know the things you just disabled are probably innocent and can be enabled again.

While the problem is probably not in Opus, we may be able to help you find the cause, if you can generate a dump file while it is happening, and send it to us. Here's how to do that:

• While it's happening, please go to Task Manager, then the Details tab, right-click dopus.exe and select Create Dump File.

Do that 4 or 5 times, and it should create something like:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus.DMP
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (2).DMP
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (3).DMP
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (4).DMP
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\dopus (5).DMP

The files will be large, but compress well.

If sending more than one file, using the 7z format instead of zip will give a much reduced size. You can do this via the Archive Files button in Opus.

Please zip or 7z the files and email them to crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au (it's best not to post full dumps publicly to the forum).

There are a huge number of threads created by the NVidia driver, which seem strange. May be worth updating it if it isn't already.

DropBox is trying to connect to something. Try disabling any shell extensions related to DropBox via ShellExView, reboot and see if the problem remains. Cloud storage shell extensions are often the cause of unwanted behavior as they connect to the internet all the time.

Notepad++ is installed and old versions of that have caused some issues, so it may be worth updating (Which always fixes it for people if it was the cause). But nothing in the dumps points to it directly so it may not be involved.

Those are the only two things that stand out, but you also have a large number of shell extension installed and active within the Opus process. Any of those could be causing problems in more subtle ways. If the above two ideas don't help, my advice is to go through ShellExView and disable everything & reboot to see if it helps, then start re-enabling things until the problem comes back, to isolate the cause.