Horizontal scroll defect in lister file pane

Try this:

Open a lister in a folder with a lot of files or folders (%windir%\System32 is good). Set "list view". Size the lister so that a partial column of files/folders is displayed on the right side of the window, say, just the folder/file glyphs and not the folder/file names. Click the horizontal scrollbar to the right of the scrollbar thumb. Result: the partial column was skipped over in the redisplay. Desired behavior: the partial column would be the first column on redisplay.

We may be able to improve that, unless it's part of how the List-mode control works inherently...

In the meantime, though, the correct thing happens if you use the scrollbar's arrow, or drag the scrollbar thumb. It is (arguably) jumping too far when you click the gutter, but in List mode the other two things do the thing you want (move to the next column of names) and the gutter is perhaps for going even farther when you want to scroll a large distance.

For anyone else reading, note that this only affects List mode, not Details, Power, Thumbnails or Tiles. List mode is unusual.

If the list control works like that, I'd say then that list control is broken and the developer should fix it. I did notice that it works correctly the other ways. I don't think it's just "(arguably) jumping" to far. One either wants to scroll a column at a time (then use the arrow buttons) or a screenful at a time (then use the gutter), but in either case, one does not want to miss information. It's not "jumping", it's "screenful scrolling". Clicking and holding-down the mouse button in the gutter is supposed to scroll a screenful at a time--without skipping columns. "Jumping" would mean that clicking in the gutter would move the thumb to the click point, and that is not standard behavior.

The scrolling in List mode should be fixed in 12.1.1 which you can try now as a beta, or wait for the 12.2 stable release.