Hotkeys

I am a trial user. Something strange is happening - the DO hotkeys replaced my system hotkeys, so i can't use firefox and other programs normally (like ctrl+T doesn't open a new firefox tab but opens a new tab in DO instead)... i didn't create any new/custom hotkeys, but when i go to Customize->Keys there are some "duplicated" keys marked red and they are undeletable. When i press "Edit" the "Command editor" shows up, not the "hotkey editor". When i close Directory Opus, everything's fine. It's a great piece of software, thinking of buying, but this "feature" would kill all the advantages over the standart explorer.

The clue is in the Type column. "Floatbar" is short for "floating toolbar". When a toolbar is floated from a Lister its hotkeys become system global. To me it looks like you have somehow duplicated your standard Toolbar and then floated it on the desktop.

There are two ways to make hotkeys:
[ol][li]Standalone hotkeys. These have Hotkey in the Type column.[/li]
[li]Hotkeys assigned to toolbar buttons. These have Toolbar or Floatbar in the Type column.[/li][/ol]If you edit a toolbar hotkey then Opus will open up the button editor, the same as if you edited the toolbar button. Editing a standalone hotkey brings up a different, simplified editor since standalone hotkeys don't have icons and so on, as they're only visible in the hotkey list.

There are two types of toolbar:
[ol][li]Normal toolbars, which are part of a lister window.[/li]
[li]Floating toolbars, which are standalone windows. These may be docked to the side of the screen, like the taskbar, or they may be floating windows.[/li][/ol]It looks like you've created a floating copy of your menu bar, since lots of hotkeys, like F1, which are usually defined by the menu bar are listed twice in your screenshot, once with the Toolbar type and once with the Floatbar type. Close the floating menu bar and you'll lose the duplicates. If you want the floating menu bar then you can remove the hotkey definitions from all of its buttons while leaving them in the main toolbar. (I can't think why you'd want a floating Help menu and so on, though.)

Finally, there are two types of hotkey:
[ol][li]Normal hotkeys, which are only triggered when an Opus window is active.[/li]
[li]System-wide hotkeys, which can be triggered regardless of which program is active. These are typically used to allow you to open a lister using the keyboard without having to touch the mouse or switch to another program. I also use them for toggling some floating toolbars and for deleting a logs directory every so often.[/li][/ol]When you edit a standalone hotkey there is a check-box which specifies whether it is system-wide or not. In the hotkey list the Type column displays Hotkey *, with the * indicating it's a system-wide hotkey.

Normal toolbar hotkeys are never system-wide.

Floating toolbar hotkeys are always system-wide. (This makes sense since a floating toolbar's hotkeys would be useless if you had to click on the toolbar first to make them work.)

That explains why Ctrl-T in Firefox has been taken over, since your floating menu bar has such a hotkey.

So, I think closing the floating menu bar will fix all the problems.

That's what I said! :slight_smile:

I was probably half-way through typing my Pulitzer Prize-winning reply when you posted your attempt!

:slight_smile:

the thing is that i can't see any floating bars neither on the desktop nor anywhere else. is there a way to disable them from somewhere?

oh i found'em... the problem was of that i'm using a shell replacement :confused: