How About Multiple Instances, with Individual Configs

Who would like to see this capability in DOPus?

I regularly use DOpus in several different scenarios.
It would be really useful to be able to have several entirely different configs, with different setups of tabs, functions, folder options etc, and ideally, have a menu to switch configs, or allocate a button, or link these to different startup Icons, so that you can run completely different configs in different instances of DOpus.

I would then have specific DOpus Instances for Specific Jobs

I have in mind the following

File Management DOpus
Tabs:- Explorer, Dual Vertical; File Manager
Display all by details
Context Toolbar customised
Focus on managing files on fileservers & locally, copying deleting, finding classifying, synchronising directories etc

Video & Picture Manger DOpus
Tabs:- Explorer, ThumbSorter(Tree+2Pane-Thumbnails); Images, FilmStrip
Display: Thumbs and/or Auto detect
Context Toolbar Customised to toggle Image details, EXif data, Sort by image dims etcetc
Focus on Sorting, classifying images and video Clips, finding & removing duplicates etc.

Audio Manager DOpus
Tabs:- Explorer, Sound Sorter(Tree+2Pane-PowerMode)
Folder Options display Tag info -Colums for Sound related info
Optimise for finding and clsassifying, and creating collections

And so forth, I hope you get the idea of where I am going with this.

I find that with the depth of options available in DOpus, it takes considerable time and effort to get a config tuned and tweeked for these tasks, and it is a pity that there is no simple method for saving each config.

I was disappointed to discover that saving the "Lister Layout" did not achieve this, and as far as I can see the closest approach is backup and restore a whole config, each time you want to change Task, which frankly is too much effort.

When I first started evaluating and using DOpus I kind of assumed that given everything it is capable of, and the complexity of it's configs, that it would have this feature.
As I said, I was a bit disappointed to find that it doesn't

Let's vote for saving custom configs

Lister Layouts and/or Styles should do this. Where did you find that they fell short?

Hi Leo,

Actually I have had much of this discussion before, about 15 months ago when I was evaluating DOpus prior to purchase, see thread
resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

In the intervening year I still have not got DOpus to save configs in the way I had envisaged.

Lister Layouts seem to only store stuff like the current windows you have open, the paths in them, etc

Reverting to a saved Layout puts you in the saved environment.

I am not interested in saving the environment I want to save the status of the DOpus confuguration. With the thousands of combinations of config options it is impossible to remember a whole config. And it is very time consuming to tune and tweek the config, as one has to go through the options, often check help etc to understand them, etc

So my approach would be to spend time getting DOPus set up for a particular task and then to be able to save that config.

I would envisage say having three DOpus Icons on my desktop "Files" "Media" "Audio" Each would open DOpus with a completely different set of Tabs, Folder Layouts, Options etc. I would be able to have say Files and Audio open at the same time, giving 2 instances of DOpus each with different layouts and settings, which I could then use to perform different tasks, eg Manage my audio collection with one while managing files on file servers with the other.

Currently All those type fo settings are Global, so regardless of which Lister Layout I load, I get the same tabs same folder options etc.

So I then have to spend considerable time adjusting all the options to get things the way I want them.

So my current approach is to have tons of tabs all set up for different tasks which is messy and not really that efficient.
I currently have 10 tabs to achieve this.
Standard ones, Explorer Images, Filmstrip, Dual Vert, Dual Horiz, Commander, Single.

My Customised Tabs "File Details", "ThumbSorter", "FileManager"

As an Example for my "File Manager" DOpus I would Have Explorer, FileDetails, FileManager, and Dual Vertical

Which global settings do you want to be different between two windows?

I can't imagine there are many of them. The only thing I can think of here is global toolbars.

All of the file display/format settings can be saved in a layout and if the layout has the format lock switched on then those settings won't change when you change folders. What else is there?