How are Listers supposed to work?

This is a question from a newbie. I cannot make sense of this, or something is seriously wrong here.

I open Opus 9 (9.5.2.0) and I see the default Lister. This displays the column "Type", which I don't want. I know that a folder is a folder, and So what do I do? I disable the column, keeping only Name, Size, Modified and Attr, resizing the columns to fit my taste. Then I save this Lister as "MyLister".

The next time I start Opus, I have the default settings. Ok, so I click Settings > Lister Layout > MyLister, and voilá, there is my setting. Now how do I get this as the default? It should be simple, but isn't.

Using Settings > Preferences > Startup, and then any option from "Listers opened automatically..." do not work at all, if I do not check the Shutdown option. In other words, if I just select "Open a saved Lister layout" and select MyLister, I still get the default columns on startup. (I am not changing folders during these tests.)

If I set MyLister as the default, and then use "Open the Default Lister", again I get the default columns on startup. You can't be serious that I have to select the option manually in the menu, after every startup! This can't be right.

So, if I check the Shutdown option, then yes - the first time I start Opus I get indeed my layout. If I start a second instance (still displaying the same folders), I am forced again to use the default columns, and my settings are ignored. Why?

Please - how is this supposed to work?

Ulrich

See the Folder Formats FAQ: [Folder Formats: Quick Guide)

Or use Settings -> Set as Default Lister after making whichever changes you want.

And have a look her (for example): [Folder Formats / Default Lister)

Ulrich

Have a look at HOW TO: Understand and Configure Folder Formats

Regards, AB

Hello,

thank you for the replies.

Christiaan, I tried that setting (Open the Default Lister, under Startup) but this alone does not work. The issue was the "Ignore folder format of Default Lister" - after I unchecked the option, Opus now works consistently.

I am not sure why the "Shutdown Directory Opus when the last Lister closes" would affect this setting, or why the first instance opened does use my settings while the second instance of Opus (opening the very same folders as the first instance) does ignore them. Maybe there is something fishy there - but at least Opus now behaves like I expect it to.

Thank you for the help!

Ulrich

[quote]In other words, if I just select "Open a saved Lister layout" and select MyLister...

...If I set MyLister as the default, and then use "Open the Default Lister"[/quote]

Your MyLister layout can't be set as the Default Lister. The Default Lister is like a hidden, separate layout which is independent from any that you create & name yourself. You can update the Default Lister to save new settings into it but you can never replace it with another layout.

If you set some of the Launching Opus options to open your MyLister layout instead of the Default Lister, that just makes those actions do something different. It doesn't make MyLister the Default Lister or affect any other actions.

The Default Lister is always the Default Lister, if you see what I mean.

So if some Launching Opus options open your MyLister layout and other options (or commands etc.) open the Default Lister, you'll get different things.