How can I get Opus to do "more" with zip archives?

My god...

I don't know the why... but it seems to work now...
I seem to be the idiot and you seem to be the wise man.

** run in the WC and hide himself **

The only thing I paid attention was to close correctly Dopus...
I think I know now the why... (maybe)
If the process is killed, it seems that Dopus doesn't save the event 'new tab' but it saves the integration of zip files
So if you activate the zip integration and change the event but kill the process of Dopus, when you restart Dopus the zip integration is yet activated but the event is reseted to 'go' cause it was not registered in DO.

And as I hate long shutdown, I made my computer automatically kill remaining tasks that don't close enough quickly automatically when the computer is shuting down.

By the way, your help was not useless, as I figured why WinACE bugs, how to repair it (and here I thank you a loooooooooooot) and I figured also what caused this bug.

But.... I still think I am the idiot to not have found that myself
:blush:

HA!!! So it sounds as if ~some~ of it was "user bugging" and not Opus - LOL. Either way, I'm glad all my typing and attempts to help were not totally useless :confused:

FWIW, the WinACE thing is just a workaround... but according to the feedback you got from GPSoft, they've already judged that to be a 'WinACE issue'. However, I'm submitting a bug report about the funkiness with the IZArc icon handling... there may or may not be anything GPSoft can do about that one. The issues are different than those with WinACE, but there are actually 'several' issues with the IZarc extension depending on how you configure it... we'll see what happens.

@PCPete... I think Ralendil_ is all wrapped up, give a holler if you want to talk about the WinZip shell extension integration issues you mentioned. I'm thinking you are probably better off leaving Opus ZIP integration enabled so you can view the zip files as folders, but leave context menu work to WinZip since you have it installed and probably use it for other formats than ZIP to fill in the archive format support gaps in Opus' native toolset.

I'm so sorry everyone, for some reason I suddenly stopped getting subscription notifications for the thread... I didn't click on "stop receiving subscriptions", and I didn't disable it specifically in my profile. So I apologise for not saying stuff sooner!

First, thanks to everyone who's suggested ideas! I've quickly scanned most of your replies, and I guess I have to clarify:

• What I Want Opus ZIP Handling To Offer The Free World:
  • the ability to "add with paths" to an existing Opus archive. Currently, I can add files to a previously created archive, but no options are available, unless I drag folders - and then the relative paths only are used.
  • The ability to handle bloody great big humungous zip files. I currently use Winzip 11.0 x64, which offers fantastic support for files >2G and creating zip archives > 4G. It's slow, it's painful, but it works. The catch is, any great big humungous zip file so created is totally incompatible with any 32-bit zip archive - but that's just not even close to being a problem for me!
    So I'd like to be able to use Opus to - if not actually create such beasts, at least read the table of contents.

I do suspect that I've somehow disabled Windows context menus "being available" in Opus context menus, but I don't remember doing it, and the references steje and others have suggested don't do anything.

BUT.
I've just discovered that there is a major problem in the XP x64 dll cache verification, and I've actually been working with corrupted system, system32 (i.e. x64 dlls), and SysWOW64 (i.e. x32 dlls) libraries, due to Allah knows what.

I'm not sure if that has impacted the interface between Opus and the rest of this system, but I'm guessing all bets are off - so it may not be something I (or Opus) have actually "done". We might have "been done unto".

So I'm off to the land of the silver XP x64 install disk and it's delights, which means a) I'll be out of everyone's hair for a day or so, and b) these "issues" may be a moot point. I hope so. Kinda.

If not, I'll be sure to at least read everyone's help in more depth, as there's a lot to digest, and some of it's pretty basic stuff I've skipped over.
So my apologies again for the deafening silence, AND for this torrent of BS.

Wish me luck.

No worries Pete... I sure wasn't upset, just didn't want you to feel forgotten while Ralendil_ had the spotlight for awhile...

So, your issue is a lot different. If you're actually running an x64 version of WinZip, and it comes only with 64 bit shell extensions, then there won't be anything you can do to get the WinZip context menu entries to appear in Opus until GPSoft release a native x64 port of Opus... Currently we only get a 32bit version which can't load 64bit extensions...

To the other questions, I don't think there's any option for 4gb file compatibility at the moment and I'm not sure about the relative path/folder stuff... I think there's probably got to be a way to make it happen, but I've got no access to Opus at the moment to take a look. Will check later...

whew....pant pant....gimme a sec... pant pant pant.... ah geez, I don't want to do that again... 46 passwords/certificates/product keys/licences (not counting games!) later, I'm starting to realise why I gave this job up as a living.

But boy was it worth it. That's fixed problems ranging from being unable to authenticate on MS sites, to missing codecs, to routing failures, profile lockouts, sound drivers, to Allah knows what else. It's my own damn fault for insisting on x64, I know, but still.

I made it back (obviously), and I understand what tanis has said about 64-bit context menus being "mapped" somehow into Opus.

I think it's probably better if a specific context menu item(s) is created, that would be a more suitable (flexible, configurable) alternative than relying on OLE/DDE/whatever the hell Windows uses now.

The only reason I haven't done that is just laziness, I'm sure I can figure out the right parameters in such a way that it would work for others too. Well, two reasons - bandwidth up to now. Three reasons, actually - nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

As far as managing huge files goes, if I can integrate whatever tool meets my needs (Winzip 11 x64) into Opus, I'll be a happy little vegemite. I don't really care who does what, as long as I can use a consistent method of managing such files. And that's going to come down to me (or anyone else who's already managed to get a useable zip interface working). I've got a licenced copy of 7zip, so I'll try reinstalling that and if I can get a working tool, I'll post it here.

Oh - and guess who forgot to back up his Opus settings (columns, groups, status bar, etc, etc, etc). Grrr.

OLE/DDE, parameters, inquisitions, useable interface, licensed 7zip (isn't it completely free?)...

Not sure where you're going with all this... :slight_smile:, what specifically are you looking to do; outside of some of the functional things you've asked about like large file handling which has already been commented on?

Yes, I should apologise for the levity, it doesn't make it any easier to understand the problem.

It looks like this could be a moot point. I've just reinstalled the 11.1 x64 winzip package after installing Opus RC9 (instead of the other way around), and winzip context menu options now appear on the Opus default context menus, right alongside the Opus archive options.

I'm not sure if this is a fix in the WZ11.1 release (it's not mentioned in the new features release notes, but a lot of "other" Vista-specific features have been tweaked), and I'm reluctant to uninstall it and reinstall it just to see if that was the fix, or the fresh OS install was the magic ingredient.

You're right, 7Zip is free, even the x64 release!