How can I "Open a new Folder Tab" to a specific folder

Newb alert... I finally took the plunge and paid the money. I must say that DO looks amazingly configurable, just what I like! I'm currently on the latest v10.

What I want is to be able to click the + symbol that is after the current tabs, and have it always open a pre-specified folder; actually, "computer", so that I see my available drive letters. I have a lot of letters! Then I can quickly navigate to where I want from there, without having to move the mouse over to the other side of the screen to the folder tree and scroll around it, or have to use the keyboard (yes, I'm being lazy).

I don't want to set "computer" as a general default though, since I still want my lister tabs on startup to be wherever I left off last time.

There doesn't seem to be an option for this in the settings. I can have 'default', 'current' or 'empty' (or something like that) for new tabs, none of which suit me.

Rick.

As you said - If you assign "New Tab" to ALWAYS open to "My Computer",
this could cause problems with other assignments.

You could implement the strategy I just posted here:

[code]Create a popup Drive List w/ Hotkey only - no button]

or, you could create only 1 dedicated button in the Rclick context menu to open "My Computer" in a New Tab :

Leo is opening "my computer" by clicking the + button in this video (2:01) youtube.com/watch?v=wVa9H_3H ... IZ&index=3
But he doesn't tell how. Maybe by control clicking or something. I don't know im not on opus 10.

But you can also middle click on the up button to go to root/my computer.

v.11: Preferences > Folder Tabs > Options > (2nd check box that has a menu w/ 3 choices)
"Display new tab button that opens a new tab showing"

-- configuring this strategy here wouldn't seem to interfere
w/ directly Mouse-clicking on a file or folder to open it in a new tab - whether L-R-M

@TrulyFoxy -- I share the "need" to see/visualize 'My Compter' --
which is why my default Layout always has 'My Computer' as the L-most tab --
I just click it when I need to in order to Refresh my own brain -- just another suggestion/strategy.

And you can see that, like you mentioned, I pretty well use up the alphabet w/ partitions-drives (1_ssd +1_hdd in asus.k55 laptop)

To me, another wonderful aspect of dOpus is that, no matter how "your" brain wants to experience computing,
it will most likely be able to meet you there.

In my opinion, Leo's wonderful tutorials should always be studied as part of a beginner's dOpus curriculum.

For your pursuit, the "Getting to Know Directory Opus" tutorial, written in v.8 time,
has another strategy of creating a "Go" Button that could handily meet your needs,
and it makes use of the phenomenal 3-Button strategy, such that you can always configure multiple options :

pretentiousname.com/opus/cb1.html#b_gocmd

The reason clicking on the + button opened a new tab to the 'My Computer' location in Leo's video is probably that he had that location set as his 'default' folder (via his default lister settings)... and then probably had the "Display new tab button..." option set to "Default folder".

Perhaps GPSoft could consider adding a 'browse...' option to that drop down that would let people specify their own folder location. No reason I can see why it has to be restricted only to the drop down choices.

Those would be the only ways to get 'My Computer' to open on clicking that + button... but to happydogs last point: you can easily create a toolbar button that would open a newtab to my computer. You could also create a user-command that could run if you double-click the file display background to do it. Lots of alternate ways of doing things in Opus... just depends on what method is most agreeable to you:

• hotkey
  • toolbar button
  • dbl-click file display background
  • right-click context menu from the file display background

What's your preference?

Thanks for all the replies folks - I'll take a detailed look later on when I get chance to play with DO and see what works for me.

That would seem the obvious thing to me, but I'll try to find an acceptable work-around in the meantime...