How do I add a descriptive note to a cryptic filename?

I've tried for 45 minutes to find out how in Opus' help resources, to no avail. Am new user. In PowerDesk Pro, you'd just right click and choose to Edit Note. Opus doesn't seem to do things this way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Rick.

DOpus supports the standard descript.ion method for adding notes to files or folders. To add or modify a description to the selected item(s) go to the menu command of:

FILE/FILE COMMANDS/SET DESCRIPTION

If you want, you can also add the descriptions as a column in the lister.

As a side note, a couple years ago I also switched to DOpus from PowerDesk Pro and I'm very glad that I did.

Is this a way to turn on and off file descripton in Preference?

Thank you

In PREFERENCES, under the FOLDERS section near the bottom, you can enable or disable comments by ticking the

Support 'descript.ion' file comments system

option. You can also hide or unhide the descript.ion file for each folder by ticking the option below it.

Hey rvs053063, to add to what JohnZ mentioned... you could also create your very own context menu action so that when you right click on files and folders you can see an Edit Note choice just like you had with Powerdesk... you would just set it up to run the same command which is run by the menu option JohnZ referred to which is -> SetAttr DESCRIPTION.

Good stuff so far! Almost there. I tried going into Customize - Context Menus and the menu that you get when right clicking a folder or file doesn't appear in the list. I can add the set description command to the ZIP menu and the Lister Context menu, but these aren't the menus that I would like to edit. Where can I customize the menu that appears with a right click on a folder or file? Thanks! Rick.

Try the menu command of:

SETTINGS/FILE TYPES

Then in the next pop up dialog box, look for the DIRECTORY OPUS FILE TYPES section and in that, select ALL FILES AND FOLDERS. Next in the lower righthand corner of the dialog box click the EDIT button which will open another dialog box. In that box click on the CONTEXT MENU tab in the lower section. Then click the NEW button and enter:

Action: Set Description

Function: standard function (Opus or external)

and for the command, enter: SetAttr DESCRIPTION

Hi again RVS,

Yeah those are specialized menu's that Dopus cases off separately... The place you want can be reached by going to Settings->File Types... and you probably want to modify the 'All files and folders' category... (though just now you said 'folders' so maybe you want 'All folders' category instead?). Double click it or highlight it and click the Edit button and in the Edit 'All files and folders' File Type window that pops up you should see a tab called Context Menu. Click on this and hit the New... button. In the Edit new action for type: All files and folders dialog that opos up, type Edit Note or whatever you want to call it in the [b/Action:[/b] field, and in the Type: field, hit the drop down and select Run an Opus function (not supported in Explorer). The dialog window will enlarge to show an edit potion of the window where you can paste in the command: SetAttr DESCRIPTION.

This is the basis for how you modify the Opus context menu. You can entriely supress the normal Windows menu by setting an option in Preferences if you'd like, and add in only the context menu commands you want from whatever apps you have installed and as you've seen here... create your very own context items using Opus built-in internal command set. For instance, here is a snapshot of my current pure opus folder context menu where I've kept 'some' windows and third party app stuff plus added some opus specific items:

Thanks a lot to everyone. I'm almost there. In PD Pro, if you click Edit Note, you're brought to a small notepad. Here you could put in a description of the file(s), serial numbers, helpful installation tips for the next time you install the app (of course you'd lose all of this info if you move the file !!). Anyway, obviously you can't fit all of this into a single line description of a limited number of characters. Any thoughts on getting around this? How many characters am I limited to?

OMG! I just moved the file and lost the description I entered. Tell me I'm doing something wrong please as pre-sales told me that DOpus could do this before I bought it.

Thanks again.
Rick

[quote]
JohnZeman wrote:
In PREFERENCES, under the FOLDERS section near the bottom, you can enable or disable comments by ticking the

Support 'descript.ion' file comments system

option. You can also hide or unhide the descript.ion file for each folder by ticking the option below it.[/quote]

Thats cool... but i am wondering is there a way to make the descript.ion file not have the hidden attribute automatically attributed to it? I dont mind that the file is hidden but I run a FTP and the description will not show up when i connect to it using cuteftp unless the file does not have the hidden atribute attached to it? Of course I could simply manually remove it, but i could just as easily not make it hidden to begin with and use a display filter to hide the file.

Any thoughts?

I do not think DOpus has an option to turn off making any new descript.ion files hidden. However it's easy enough to do after they've been created. The following button could be used (DOpus version 8.1 or newer) to turn off the hidden attribute of all descript.ion files in the selected drive or folder, including its subfolders.

<?xml version="1.0"?> Clear H in descipt.ion Resets the hidden attribute of all descript.ion files in selected folder and subfolders 84 runmode hide @echo off attrib -h /s "{s}descript.ion"

This works on my XP machine just fine, I haven't tested it on other versions of Windows.

After I posted my last message something else occurred to me that has me curious FatherTime. Why are you using CuteFTP when you have DOpus? I used to use CuteFTP Pro and was happy with it, but I've long since dropped it and now do all my FTP with DOpus.

RVS,

If you go into Settings->Preferences...->File Operations on the Copying (1) tab there is an option to Preserve the description of copied files that I thing will do the trick for you. I don't believe it's enabled by default, so make sure it's checked and give it a shot. Be aware that this would be among the things other might ask you to temporarily disable again if you ever have weird performance issues with copying lot's of files etc etc...

Yep, that fixed it. Thanks. So how do I have the description column show by default? I always have to right click then add it to every view?

Also, what if I don't have a middle mouse button. I see a lot of DOpus takes advantage of one. Can DOpus support chording instead?

Many thanks.

Rick

Hi... for the description column to be visible all the time, you need to edit your default folder format. What you could do is go to Tools->Folder Options... and in the dialog that appears click on the Columns tab. Once there... you should be able to intuit what to do to arrange your columns the way you want them... and once done, you can hit the Save drop down button and select 'For All Folders'. I am assuming you would want to do this for all folders and only suggest saving it for all if you haven't already set up saved formats for other folders - since I guess you're not familiar with this folder options/format menu I'm also assuming you have NOT set any other folder options. Besides which... last time I checked saving folder options for specific folders didn't work right???

For the middle mouse button thing there are some options... not every button on the toolbar needs a right, left and middle button function. You could just use left and right. Not sure what 'chording' is :slight_smile:.

In addition to what steje said about setting your default folder formats (I do it via PREFERENCES/FOLDERS/FOLDER FORMATS), there's yet other ways you can set the columns. You can have a columns button on your toolbar, but that won't guarantee the columns won't change when you change folders. And you can also set up PREFERENCES/FOLDERS/FOLDER FORMATS/FOLDER FORMATS to set specific columns to display (along with a lot of other things) when you go to specific folders.

My preferred method however, is to use lister styles. PREFERENCES/LAYOUTS/LISTER STYLES where you can set a lister style up just the way you want it (columns, filters, etc). And DOpus will switch to that lister style any time you touch that style name on the lister style tab bar. For example I have one lister style named "Descriptions" that sets the columns to show only the file name and the description. I have another called "Attributes" that only shows the file names and along with the attributes of each file. And so it goes.

I too can only guess at what chording does, but you can configure DOpus commands to be run by a hotkey. So if you can assign a chord action as a hotkey, it might work.

Okay, so is this dating me or what? Back in the 'old' days (pre-third mouse button), 'chording' was the action of pressing both buttons at the same time akin to the functionality of a third mouse button, that didn't exist at the time. I was hoping that somewhere deeply hidden in a settings/preference menu there was an option to assign a chord to third mouse button functionality. I see this third mouse button option on a lot of the menu tool tips. Thanks.

Rick

[quote]
JohnZeman wrote:
After I posted my last message something else occurred to me that has me curious FatherTime. Why are you using CuteFTP when you have DOpus? I used to use CuteFTP Pro and was happy with it, but I've long since dropped it and now do all my FTP with DOpus.[/quote]

Well i use cuteftp for a few reasons... The main one being that it has a queue... so i can download stuff from different directories without having to start multiple transfers. When i go to work or go out for the day, I sometimes set up a lot of stuff to download from a variety of different directories. I simply want it to dl them and end the session. DO will only allow me to dl from one dir at a time unless i start multiple transfers. But what happens when my connection fails because the site goes down or whatever? In cuteftp the queue pauses and retries or if the site only comes on hours later i can manually connect and start the queue again. Cannot do that with DO.

You can use Collections as an FTP queue. In fact it's the main reason I use Collections.

Simply navigate to the files you want to download on an ftp site - copy them to a collection - repeat to build your queue from as many sites as you like - once you're ready to start downloading the queue - select all the files in the queue and copy to a hdd location.

Easy...

Tanis- that's real interesting... would you be able to elaborate on why downloading via file collections works in this way rather than trying to do it all at once?

RVS- well, I'm old enough to have firmly worked in DOS, so you're not necessarily 'over the hill' in our company, but maybe amusingly geeky for knowing the terminology for 'clicking both buttons' LOL. But seriously, while I am not sure this is/can be supported, if it became a problem for you, you could seperate out the 'middle-click' functions into seperate buttons... so that that your buttons only offer left/right clicks; i.e. only two functions per button rather than three.