How do Tab Groups work?

How do I use Tab Groups? How do I make a tab group? (I searched OPus9ReferenceManual.pdf for "Tab Group", found several references to it, but haven't found directions on how to make one or use it.)

• you can open some folder in tab, right clic on tab (in icon folder, not in title), choose group/save in context menu
  • or in Preferences/Listers - Folder Tab Groups.
    create group by clicking 1st icon (top) and give it name.
    select it and add folder by clicking 1st icon (bottom).

very easy...

you can open tab group by adding command in toolbar.
in customize, commands tab, settings category and find "folder tab group list"...

You can also create a button(s) that opens a specific folder tab group (instead of the 'list' of tab groups that Albator mentioned)... and like everything else in Opus you can also use context menu entries or hotkeys to open folder tab groups or run any other Opus command you want.

Command to load a tab group calle music:
Go TABGROUPLOAD=MUSIC

you can even add a button to save the current tab group:

Go TABGROUPSAVE

to edit them (accrss the preferences group tab management)

prefs page="tabgroups"

and to display a list in a menu:

Go TABGROUPLIST SHOWICONS
(remove SHOWICONS if you don't like the generic icon displayed)

We might be overloading deleyd... :slight_smile:.

Give a shout if you're not sure about how to even use any of the suggestions made here so far buddy. It's all real simple to use, but if you're not sure about creating buttons, hotkeys, or context menu items depending how you'd like to make use of any of this stuff, there are some FAQ's that can help fill in any gaps in those areas to get you started.

Personally, I have about a half dozen to a dozen tab groups that I load up in a variety of ways. Very often I have buttons that load a tab group on the LEFT side of a dual-pane lister, and another tab group of corresponding folders in a different parent folder on the RIGHT side of the dual-pane lister that I then use as a sort of workspace with my master or reference folders on the LEFT and my staging or working folders on the right... whose contents I then sync back and forth depending on what phase of work I am in at any moment...

What program is used to make that nice image above by AlbatorIV? With text balloons explaining stuff?

got the answer. Thanks AlbatorIV

Was it snagit or something else?

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

and here is the last freeware version, beginning with ver. 5.4 it is now shareware:

http://www.freewarearena.com/html/Downloads/details/id=1993.html

:wink:

[quote]http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

and here is the last freeware version, beginning with ver. 5.4 it is now shareware:

freewarearena.com/html/Downl ... =1993.html[/quote]

Thanks for this guys. :smiley:

I had been using Window Clippings for screen grabs but after checking it out I like FastStone Capture a lot better. Enough that I went ahead an bought the program even though there's still a free version available.

I'm little embarrassed I didn't know about this program ahead of time though as I've had the FastStone Image Viewer for quite awhile now but had never noticed the screen capture utility. :blush:

Can Opus open folder groups through aliases (just as one can acess folders by using the Folder Aliases function)? If it can, please let me know how to achieve this.

Regards.

No, but you can attribute hotkey to group...

[quote="DOPMCA"]Can Opus open folder groups through aliases (just as one can acess folders by using the Folder Aliases function)? If it can, please let me know how to achieve this.

Regards.[/quote]
Not using Folder Aliases, but see my answer to your similar question in this thread.

I have added the tabgroup menu to my toolbar, but now when I click on it it opens the Preferences/settings for the tab group, only when I click on the arrow beside it I can see the drop-down of my saved tab groups.

How can I change the behavior of the tabgroup button that when I click on it to just shows the drop-down instead of going to the settings ?

(I tired Go TABGROUPLIST, but this creates a dynamic button which I do not want I just want a simple menu button that when I click on it opens the drop-down with the saved tab groups)

Can anyone help me achieve that?

Make a new menu, then put that inside it.

1 Like

Oh didn't know it is that easy!

Thank you for the quick help