How do you add a new viewer plugin

Thanks abr & Christiaan,
I went to the suggested links but have not been able to solve the problem yet.
My issue is not with the DLL file. The problem is that the DOpus configuration code for multiview seems to be flawed in that it will not un shade or make available, the "OK" button regardless of what folder I choose. I browsed to many different folders with DLL files and the "OK" button never becomes available.
The mxviewer.dll is from PowerDesk 6 Pro which I have a license for and used several years ago. I installed the program so I could take advantage of the following:
"The Opus MultiView Viewer Plug-in is installed with the program by default and allows you to leverage the existing technology you may already have installed on your computer to view files."
Problem is, it will not recognize anything.

mxviewer.dll is the wrong type of viewer plugin. It won't work in Opus.

Opus can use these things to view files (in addition to its built-in formats):

[ul][li]Opus viewer plugins[/li]
[li]Preview Handlers (which come with Vista and Office 2007, for example)[/li]
[li]ActiveX controls[/li]
[li]QuickViewPlus aka Stellent Outside-In viewers (via the MultiView plugin)[/li][/ul]

Some versions of PowerDesk came with the Stellent viewers but I believe later versions switched to another set of viewers. I don't know which version the switch happened in but it sounds like your PowerDesk is using the other set of viewers as mxviewer.dll isn't a filename I've seen as part of the Stellent viewers before.

You can still get the QuickViewPlus / Stellent viewers as part of a few things these days. There's the standalone QuickViewPlus application, or you can also get them bundled with some Desktop Search tools such as Yahoo / X1 Desktop Search. See this thread for some advice from other forum members about that.

When configuring the MultiView plugin, it will not allow you to select a folder that doesn't contain the right type of plugins. That's why the OK button was disabled for you.

It's also possible that AutoCAD itself installs an ActiveX control that can be used as a viewer. You could try adding the AutoCAD file extension to the Opus ActiveX Plugin's configuration (via Settings -> Preferences -> Plugins) to see. The thread abr linked above has some screenshots of the relevant configuration window.

In the ActiveX plugin's config, try adding the extension to the Internet Explorer line first. Open a new Opus viewer window and see if the file now displays. If that doesn't work remove the extension from that line and try under the Generic ActiveX line below it instead. If that still doesn't work, remove the extension again so that other viewers (e.g. MultiView) get a chance to handle the file.

Hi Leo,
Thanks for the reply. Thanks to all of you for your efforts.
I'm new to DOpus and it's great to know that so many good people such as yourselves are willing to help!
I tried everything mentioned so far except seeing if autocad has an activex viewer and trying x1-search etc. I'll give those a shot.

I have found that if I install VoloView, a free AutoCAD viewer from AutoDESK, and then add .dwg to generic activex, most of my dwg files show in DOpus. Some do not and I get a message saying unrecognized file format. I'm not sure why but I will investigate this further. :smiley:

[quote="daddyman"]
I tried everything mentioned so far except seeing if autocad has an activex viewer and trying x1-search etc. I'll give those a shot.[/quote]

The latest version of X1, no longer available as a free piece of software, claims to be able to index Autocad (.dwg and .dxf) files. Whether it can render them in its viewer is another matter. I don't have a file I can test.

Hi michaelkenward,
I downloaded the demo and yes it does work with mixed results.
Some AutoCAD files show and some do not.
Some that were saved as dwg files from SolidWorks 3D models show but are, for lack of a better term, dimensionally distorted.

BTW: earlier I posted that it seemed to be a flaw in multiview.
The only flaw is the operator (me).
The multiview works as described if you know what your doing. :blush:

[Moderator Note: Removed discussion of bypassing X1 trial period.]

Then again, X1 is a powerful tool that does not cost much these days. It does more than Windows Search.

Thanks.
[Moderator Note: Removed discussion of bypassing X1 trial period.] I used X1 for a while when it was free. It's a great program but $75 is a little much for me right now when I have other search options. I do not use Windows Search. I have XYPlorer and like the search capabilies in it, but I have replaced it with DOpus which I believe has a very good search engine as well.

BTW:
Occationaly I have to reafirm the location of the Stellent folder to get the viewer to show certain file types such as .dwg. Any help with this would be great.

The current price is $50.

Just in case anyone else is watching.

Try the "Test_3" version of the MultiView plugin in this thread from a couple of days ago.

PS: Apologies for editing the posts above but the way I see it we wouldn't want people on an X1 forum talking about how to bypass the Opus trial period. :slight_smile:

Sorry about the post!
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

I have ScanSoft PaperPort that I believe comes with some scanners. I purchased mine separatly along with Omipage Pro. I did a search on my computer and found that the needed viewer DLL's come with PaperPort.
I configured multiview to locate the "inso" folder in PaperPort. This works great but apparently the viewers have not been updated to show the latest AutoCAD versions of dwg files.
I hope this helps anyone who needs viewer files and has purchased PaperPort.

Leo,
the "Test_3" version of the MultiView plugin did not help.
I still have to relocate the viewer folder.

[quote="daddyman"]I have ScanSoft PaperPort that I believe comes with some scanners. I purchased mine separatly along with Omipage Pro. I did a search on my computer and found that the needed viewer DLL's come with PaperPort.
I configured multiview to locate the "inso" folder in PaperPort. This works great but apparently the viewers have not been updated to show the latest AutoCAD versions of dwg files.
I hope this helps anyone who needs viewer files and has purchased PaperPort.[/quote]
Which version of PaperPort? (It is now Nuance not ScanSoft by the way.)

The 'SE' versions that come with scanners are not always the full monty and may lack some features.

I have a version of PaperPort that I am not allowed to tell you about. It is very very new.

DOpus's viewers Plugin Manager acknowledges the presence of the "inso" folder as valid.

Inso is the name of the company that used to produce QuickView Plus, which is now owned by Oracle. The DLL files in the Inso folder, mine are dated from the beginning of 2009, come from Oracle and are "Outside In Technology".

Looking at the filters in X1, PaperPort and QuickView Plus shows them to be remarkably similar in the names, numbers and sizes of the files.

Once again, without an Autocad file to hand, I can't test to see if newer versions of PaperPort play nice with them.

I have PaperPort 11 copyright is 2008. It is the full version.
Date: 2009-07-09 18:45:58
See list below.
I would send you an AutoCAD file but I do not have a file created in a newer version of AutoCAD here at home.

Folder PATH listing
Volume serial number is 7CC1-4E7F
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SCANSOFT\PAPERPORT\INSO
adinit.dat
CMMAP000.BIN
DEBMP.DLL
DEHEX.DLL
DEMET.DLL
DESS.DLL
DETREE.DLL
DEWP.DLL
IBFPX2.FLT
IBGP42.FLT
IBJPG2.FLT
IBPCD2.FLT
IBPSD2.FLT
IBXBM2.FLT
IBXPM2.FLT
IBXWD2.FLT
IMCD32.FLT
IMCD42.FLT
IMCD52.FLT
IMCD62.FLT
IMCD72.FLT
IMCD82.FLT
IMCDR2.FLT
IMCM52.FLT
IMCM72.FLT
IMCMX2.FLT
IMDSF2.FLT
IMFMV2.FLT
IMGDF2.FLT
IMGEM2.FLT
IMIGS2.FLT
IMMET2.FLT
IMPIF2.FLT
IMPSI2.FLT
IMPSZ2.FLT
IMPS_2.FLT
IMRND2.FLT
IPHGW2.FLT
ISGDI32.DLL
LTSCSD13.TLB
LTSCSN10.DLL
LWPAPIN.DLL
LWPAPIPN.DAT
oswin32.dll
sccanno.dll
SCCCA.DLL
SCCCH.DLL
SCCDA.DLL
SCCDU.DLL
SCCFA.DLL
sccfd.dll
SCCFI.DLL
sccfmt.dll
sccfut.dll
sccind.dll
SCCLO.DLL
SCCOLE.DLL
sccra.dll
SCCTA.DLL
SCCUT.DLL
SCCVW.DLL
vsacad.dll
VSACS.DLL
VSAMI.DLL
VSBDR.DLL
VSBMP.DLL
VSCGM.DLL
VSDBS.DLL
VSDEZ.DLL
VSDIF.DLL
VSDRW.DLL
VSDX.DLL
VSEMF.DLL
VSEN4.DLL
VSENS.DLL
VSENW.DLL
VSESHR.DLL
VSEXE2.DLL
VSFAX.DLL
VSFCD.DLL
VSFCS.DLL
VSFFT.DLL
VSFLW.DLL
VSFWK.DLL
VSGDSF.DLL
VSGIF.DLL
VSGZIP.DLL
VSHGS.DLL
VSHTML.DLL
vshwp.dll
vshwp2.dll
vsich.dll
vsich6.dll
VSIMG.DLL
VSIWP.DLL
vsjbg2.dll
VSJW.DLL
VSLEG.DLL
VSLWP.DLL
vslwp7.dll
VSLZH.DLL
VSM11.DLL
VSMANU.DLL
VSMCW.DLL
VSMIF.DLL
vsmime.dll
VSMM.DLL
VSMM4.DLL
VSMMFN.DLL
VSMP.DLL
VSMPP.DLL
VSMSG.DLL
VSMSW.DLL
VSMWKD.DLL
VSMWKS.DLL
VSMWP2.DLL
VSMWPF.DLL
VSMWRK.DLL
VSOW.DLL
VSPBM.DLL
VSPCL.DLL
VSPCX.DLL
VSPDF.DLL
VSPDFI.DLL
VSPDX.DLL
VSPFS.DLL
VSPGL.DLL
VSPIC.DLL
VSPICT.DLL
VSPNG.DLL
VSPNTG.DLL
vspp12.dll
VSPP2.DLL
VSPP7.DLL
VSPP97.DLL
VSPPL.DLL
VSPSP6.DLL
vspst.dll
vspstf.dll
VSQA.DLL
VSQAD.DLL
VSQP6.DLL
VSQP9.DLL
VSRAS.DLL
VSRBS.DLL
VSRFT.DLL
VSRFX.DLL
VSRTF.DLL
VSSAM.DLL
VSSC5.DLL
VSSDW.DLL
VSSHW3.DLL
VSSMD.DLL
VSSMS.DLL
VSSMT.DLL
VSSNAP.DLL
vsso6.dll
VSSOC.DLL
vssoc6.dll
VSSOI.DLL
vssoi6.dll
VSSOW.DLL
VSSPT.DLL
vsswf.dll
VSTAZ.DLL
VSTEXT.DLL
VSTGA.DLL
VSTIF6.DLL
VSTW.DLL
VSTXT.DLL
VSVCRD.DLL
VSVISO.DLL
VSVW3.DLL
vsw12.dll
VSW6.DLL
VSW97.DLL
VSWBMP.DLL
VSWG2.DLL
VSWK4.DLL
VSWK6.DLL
VSWKS.DLL
VSWM.DLL
VSWMF.DLL
VSWML.DLL
VSWORD.DLL
VSWORK.DLL
VSWP5.DLL
VSWP6.DLL
VSWPF.DLL
VSWPG.DLL
VSWPG2.DLL
VSWPL.DLL
VSWPW.DLL
VSWS.DLL
VSWS2.DLL
vsxl12.dll
VSXL5.DLL
vsxml.dll
VSXY.DLL
vsyim.dll
VSZIP.DLL
wvcore.dll

PaperPort 11 is the latest that you can buy. It comes in two flavours – Pro and "Amateur".

Well, up to a point. They did throw out an 11.2 (build11.2.0.330), which is not the easiest thing to find. But I don't think it did anything to the viewers. Mostly, I think, done to make PP more Vista friendly!

I did find an Autocad file of indeterminate version out in webland. PaperPort tried to display it, but didn't get very far. The viewers stalled during loading.

The Nuance KnowledgeBase has answers implying that it works with Autocad. But who knows which versions?

I will put out a question on the PaperPort Yahoo! group, a place a bit like this but overwhelmed by off-topic dross. (Hope we are straying in that direction.)

Thanks Michael,
I checked and I have 11.2 (see attachment).
I guess yours is a beta?
I've never been on PaperPort Yahoo.
I look forward to hearing about what you find.

Yes. Beta.

If I can find an Autocad file, or I get feedback, I will see if that plays nicely.

Not that it has anything to do with DOpus.

This is probably a mad idea, but looking for an Autocad file that I could play with in PaperPort, I found this reference to DWG TrueViewâ„¢ which describes itself as "CAD conversion software enable you to easily and accurately view, plot, and publish authentic DWGâ„¢ files".

It says it is free.

If anything is going to be able to render these things, that should be it.

No one has mentioned this, but I am probably missing something.

PS No problem with the editing. (Or should that be "redaction"?) Now that X1 has removed the free Yahoo! version, that is probably just as well, although people might still be able to find it somewhere out in web land.

I Know about TrueView, It's Autodesk replacement for VoloView which will not be supported after 2009. It is a stand alone viewer and I do not believe I can use it with DOpus's viewer but I will look into it.