How do you display actual number of bytes in Size column?

I looked all over the place for this and couldn't find it. I know you can get this information in the file properties window but that is two too many mouse clicks. And I know Windows Explorer doesn't provide a way to change what the Size column displays, either, but there's lots of stuff in Directory Opus 9 that it can't display, and this should just be one of them. Program developers sometimes need this exact information at their fingertips.

There are various ways. You could set it individually in the -> tools -> folder options, then in the "general" item in the drop down menu you can select Size (bytes) & add it to the right side, confirm & save the settings. For a more general approach, please have a look in the -> main preferences -> preferences -> folders -> folder formats -> file type formats (for example). There you could set the "standard" folder format to have Size (bytes) included, or for the other file type format as well.

You also could have a look in the status bar code sequences, just search for the keywords in your help file (F1). You can, for example, have the size in bytes for all your selected files & folders shown in yor status bar with the code {sb}.

[Status Bar codes)

[quote="abr"]There are various ways. ... For a more general approach, please have a look in the -> main preferences -> preferences -> folders -> folder formats -> file type formats (for example). There you could set the "standard" folder format to have Size (bytes) included, or for the other file type format as well.
[/quote]

I can see how the first suggestion works and I did that and I thank you for that, but I can't seem to follow your directions for the second suggestion. I go to preferences->folders->folder formats and reach a dead end. I see no folder type formats. In the panel on the right there is Folder Formats, Content Type Formats, Default Formats, and Favorate Formats, but no file type formats. I must be in the wrong dialog.

Sorry, you can find that in the default formats (flat view, FTP, local drives, network drives, collections, standard (or default)).

If you want to display sizes in KB most of the time, but want a one-click way to toggle them into exact byte sizes, this button will do that:

(See: How to add example buttons to your toolbars and menus.)

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button display="both"> <label>Toggle Size Format</label> <icon1>#default:filetype2</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Set COLUMNSTOGGLE=sizeauto(1)</instruction> <instruction>Set COLUMNSTOGGLE=size(1)</instruction> </function> </button>

That's what I use. I like this way because the exact byte sizes are a pain to read most of the time, but sometimes they are needed (like you say) and when they are they're just a click away.

The button assumes that the sizes are shown in the second column, which is usually true. If that's wrong you just need to adjust the number in brackets.

On the other hand, if you want to see the exact byte sizes all the time, be sure to read the Folder Formats FAQ.