How do you save preferences?

I see the item "Saved Preferences" under the Settings menu, but I have no idea how to actually save preferences. There are so many things to save! Saved listers, saved tab groups, saved layouts, I can't think of any others right now, but I have a feeling there's more...

It would be nice to have all of the saved or customizable stuff accessible from a single location, if it's possible. I know each thing serves it's own purpose, but they seem to all be scattered throughout the program.

And I still wish that there could be some kind of dynamic (I don't know if that's the right word) saved layout setting. This goes back to my other thread where I wished the layouts would automatically save their last state.

Preferences files can be saved from the Preferences menu (in Preferences). The Save As option does this.

The ability to save preferences files is a relic from Opus 6 which did not have the full Prefs Import & Export functionality. Saving a preferences file basically saves all registry based config (with the exception of Filetypes) - pretty much everything that is actually edited through the Preferences dialog.

These days we suggest the Prefs Import & Export function is much better for maintaining and switching between multiple configs, however the old functionality has been retained for people who already had multiple saved configs.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about a dynamic saved layout setting, however if you enable the option in Preferences - Startup to Open the Listers that were open when the program was last closed this may do what you want.

Jon, I think what superboy means by "dynamic saved layout setting" is something that came up in another thread asking about a way to have a layout specific version of the current Update Default Lister settings when Listers are closed option... so that rather than saving the 'default' lister settings, whatever layout a lister was loaded from would actually be updated and saved with the settings in effect when you close the lister.

Yes, steje, that is exactly what I mean. There are just so many things that can be saved and customized, and each time I use DOpus, I may adjust or tweak a setting here and there, and I don't want to have to save the lister every time I make a change. I'm talking about minor changes here, like changing the sorting method, switching between power and details mode, adding a tab, etc. I think I am going to add a feature request thread for it, since I don't think it can be done yet.

Thanks for the save preferences explanation, jon. I felt it was kind of redundant, but I just couldn't find where to actually save the preferences.