How to automatically close the Find Tool dialog?

It's frustrating to use the Find Tool, get search results in a Find Results File Collection, do stuff with the results, and still have the Find Tool dialog hanging around, requiring Alt+Tab acrobatics to be closed or reused, the latter especially frustrating because a new instance of the dialogue opens every time I run the command to launch Find Tool.

Is there a way to close this dialog once a search is initiated?

-Mike

Why not use the find panel instead ? Then it's embedded in the lister you're using therefore relatively easy to find and close.

You could also use QUIET: This option starts the Find in quiet mode, without displaying the Find dialog.
And have a look here [url]How to close the FIND dialog from a button]

I would also love to see this. I like to use saved searches that I have assigned to buttons on the toolbar. I can do this with the Find tool but I don't think I can with the Find Panel. In any case, the find panel also does not automatically go away after the search.

Use QUIET with your buttons as christiaan already suggested.

I tried using the command "Find QUIET" but the behavior was the same as "Find". I must be missing something because I've tried all kinds of Find commands with QUIET and I can't see any effect. Plus, I don't even understand the concept because if there's no dialog, how do you enter the search query?

By the way, when I use "Find SHOWRESULTS=tab" to solve the problem of having a new Lister window open, for some reason the focus stays on the Find Tool dialog instead of switching to the results in the Find Results tab. This behavior is puzzling (along with a lot of other SHOWRESULTS behavior not explained or documented in the Raw commands section of the manual), but it's a lucky break because the dialog can then be closed with Esc, which is at least an ad hoc solution to the problem. The two stroke sequence of Enter and Esc is manageable, although there should be an explicit way to close the dialog.

In reply to the suggestion above to use the Find Panel, that's not an option because there's no way to move focus to the results using the keyboard and there's no way to get rid of the find panel with the keyboard either, both of which are hideous flaws. That's a lot worse than moving back to the Find Tool dialog and hitting Esc.

-Mike

You can try something like

Find in C: D: E: NAME {dlgstring|search for:} QUIET SHOWRESULTS=tab

which will search in C, D & E for example.

Hi Abr, thanks! I got the quiet mode behavior working with your command.

My interpretation is the QUIET switch only works if the necessary IN and NAME arguments are supplied for the function by the command, either explicity or through one of the control variables. Otherwise, the dialog is launched.

This makes sense and works, thanks!

-Mike

Of course, otherwise there's nothing to search for, and nowhere to search for it. Hence, Opus shows the dialog...