How to change the default double-click handler (explorer.exe

My default file manager is Windows Explorer (c:\windows\explorer.exe), so when I double-click on a drive it opens in a Windows Explorer window.
However, I want to change the default double-click handler, so that when I double-click on a drive it would open in a Directory Opus window.

I know there is a registry tweak (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell...) or something like that, but I want to know for sure.

And I need to change it via Registry because I don't have Administrator rights and I can't change it via Explorer's Tools/Folder Options/File types .

Preferences, Miscellaneous, Explorer Replacement is where you configure this in Opus.

I know that setting, thanks.

but I need a Registry tweak--don't ask why :slight_smile:

See what changes in the registry when you change the setting. I think you're looking in the right place already.

If you don't have Admin rights I doubt you'll be able to change it through the registry either... setting it through Opus simply does what you would do yourself with RegEdit.

Actually, I'd like to know a little more about what DOpus does to enable this. For some reason, when I enable DOpus to replace Explorer through Preferences\Miscellaneous\Replace Explorer for all file system files, nothing happens! Any time I invoke Explorer, that's what I get. If I click the Explorer shortcut; if I Start\Run\explorer. It doesn't matter.

Hi mrsnarky, what you're talking about has nothing to do with Opus' setting to replace Explorer for file system folders. If you click on a shortcut to an executable, or call that executable from Start->Run... that is most definitely the executable that should run, not Opus. Opus is not a virus :slight_smile:. All I believe Opus does is modify the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open command data to run Dopusrt.exe instead of Explorer.exe. This makes it so that when you double click on My Computer or My Documents or My Network, these things open inside Opus instead of Explorer.

Steje,
That makes sense; everything works as it should. Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

np...

I am evaluating Directory Opus 8 as a replacement for PowerDesk Pro 6 and Explorer Plus. The registry entry you mention does use Dopusrt.exe, but MyComputer still opens PowerDesk. I used Opus to create a folder shortcut on the desktop, but it opens PowerDesk. I was hoping to leave PowerDesk installed until I confirmed that Opus does everything I like about PowerDesk.

Cecil, If you want Opus to take over My Computer (etc.) as well as all folders you can simply turn on Preferences, Miscellaneous, Explorer Replacement.

For whatever reason (which I don't think was mentioned), striker_69 wanted to do this via the registry rather than that setting, but normally you should just use the setting rather than edit the registry directly.

[quote="nudel"]Cecil, If you want Opus to take over My Computer (etc.) as well as all folders you can simply turn on Preferences, Miscellaneous, Explorer Replacement.

For whatever reason (which I don't think was mentioned), striker_69 wanted to do this via the registry rather than that setting, but normally you should just use the setting rather than edit the registry directly.[/quote]

I have that set to "Replace Explorer for all folders". I tried "Replace Explorer for all file system folders (recommended)". I guess I will have to uninstall PowerDesk.

Guess so, unless PowerDesk lets you disable its own explorer replacement mode.

I uninstalled PowerDesk. MyComputer opens Opus now. Thank you for confirming my Opus settings.

I have the same problem today (2020-10-14), only ticking the "Replace Explorer for all folders" doesn't seem to work. I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 and the latest version of DOpus (12.21.7 beta) x64. What might be preventing this from working all these years later?

It's probably best to start a new thread and describe exactly what's happening and what you're tried, rather than resurrect a 15 year old thread. :slight_smile:

As a guess, make sure Opus has not been run as administrator: Why NOT to run Opus as Administrator under UAC

(Although, if it was running as admin, you should see a warning about that in the Explorer Replacement page in Preferences.)

Which folders have are you double-clicking? What happens instead? Does Explorer open, or nothing, or something else?

I've posted my response in a new thread as you suggested.