How to clean up the context menu?

Hi,

i just checked that "Go FOLDERCONTENT" thing, which is not bad ([Fastfolders users - How do to use fastfolders with DOpus)), but somehow there are those three winamp context menus on the bottom, "play in winamp", "queue in winamp", & "add to bookmarks", which i want to get rid of.

After deleting those three items from the the "all folders" context menu, they will reappear right after closing this menu. This led me to another question, how can i generally clean up the context menus? There are more
unnecessary items like some Winrar functions i never use, or even standard functions like delete or rename, which i practically never use from the context menu.

Where can i disable those winamp / winrar / other context menu items?

btw, what is the exact benefit from that "go FOLDERCONTENT" idea? Is it, because there is no need to enter all that folders & clicking out again?

I´m not sure, if i would prefer this to the "classical" way of looking into folders, since navigation is so handy in Dopus, with doubleclick moving out of the folder.

aha, i could now make some changes after logging in as admin & change it there. The only thing i cannot find, where those Winrar context menu items are.

It´s neither in "file type groups" nor "system file types".

Can't you turn off the WinRAR context menu items from within WinRAR itself?

aaargh, yes off course. I already did it. This post was unnecessary. At least, one valid question remains, what´s the advantage of the "go foldercontent"?

next time i should check out longer, before posting such questions. :smiley:

Go FOLDERCONTENT does what you suspected. Some people like to navigate through a temporary menu instead of by changing directories each time.

I only use it for toolbars. e.g. If you want a menu which lists certain files or folders.

As far as just generally 'cleaning up the context menu'... you might also think about the shotgun approach of disabling most all the generic stuff Windows shows you based on installed applications by enabling this option:

You can then go about the task of selectively adding back just the items that you want in whatever order you like, and also by organizing things under context sub-menus. Here's 'my' tweaked context menu along with the normal 'windows' context menu...

1 Like

Yeah, thx. I once used this, & now it´s activated again. Using additional shift key every now & then isn´t too much sweat.

How do you exactly customize that, as you mentioned in the other reply?

Customize what exactly?

In general, there are a few different things happening in 'my' particular context menus... Some are Opus specific commands/functions like those found in the toolbar buttons, and some are third-party context menu/shell extensions installed by 'other' applications. I do actually keep 'most' of the extensions installed by the various apps on my systems... I just don't like the way they're organized...

Aisde from specific Opus functions to run against files or folders... the third party shell extensions can be added 'back' to your menus if you've otherwise disabled them with the 'Hide Windows items' option we talked about above, by using a command like:

FileType CONTEXTMENU {CLSID} CONTEXTFORCE

...where {CLSID} is a long hex value registered with Windows to identify an application like {d8a5c198-6d52-4db9-8c13-df43508dc4c1} or something archaic like that (sorry if you know all this already).

Anyhow, there are a few ways you can figure out what the proper CLSID value for a particular application is, but perhaps one of the easiest ways would be to use the ShellExView utility from NirSoft... You might be suprised by all of the stuff on your system, but it displays things with friendly names along with the CLSID that should make it easy to home in on things of interest... There are other ways as well, if you'd care to read up, search on the forums here for CONTEXTMENU or CLSID where I've made posts.

Give a shout if you want help with 'specific' context menu changes... more than glad to help. Just build a list of what apps you want where and we can track things down.

See [Tip: Organise and Speed-Up Context Menus)

yes, this looks both interesting to look into. Not the everyday stuff, though, messing with CLSIDs.

Anyways, in the mean time i reactivated that checkbox, so the context menu is cleaned up now.

Invoking the CLSID's isn't really a big deal in Opus... all you're doing is telling Opus to do the same Explorer is doing by calling the handler. You're not changing the way in which it's registered or anything crazy. The worst I've seen happen is a crash in either Opus or the handler if you pick a 'wrong' CLSID for the item you're adding it to... which is usually due to a poorly written extension that relies entirely on file type settings to control when it's loaded...

ok, here´s the currently most important one: i use the option, which hides the windows context items, which is fine, except, i´d like to have the "open with" option not to be hidden.

There's a raw command for that, you don't even need the GUID:

FileType OPENWITHMENU

[quote="jon"]There's a raw command for that, you don't even need the GUID:

FileType OPENWITHMENU

ah, that´s very nice. Like now the context is cleaned up & i do not have to use shift so much, because open with is needed quite often. thx a lot! :sunglasses:

[quote="steje"]Customize what exactly?

Aisde from specific Opus functions to run against files or folders... the third party shell extensions can be added 'back' to your menus if you've otherwise disabled them with the 'Hide Windows items' option we talked about above, by using a command like:

FileType CONTEXTMENU {CLSID} CONTEXTFORCE

[/quote]

Where would I put this command?

See [Tip: Organise and Speed-Up Context Menus).