How to filter on Bit rate?

How can I filter this list to show just files having a certain bit rate?

Thanks.

First you can make a new filter (in -> preferences -> file operations -> filter), with "music" (from the first dropdown menu) "equal" "Bitrate" "at least" "160", which you could call "bitrate".

Then use follwing button:

set HIDEFILTERFOLDERS=* Select FILTER="bitrate" HIDEUNSEL

Thanks, but is there something more immediate than having to code a button for every new value on which I want to filter? What I want to do is just filter a column that I see on a particular value. I don't need a stored configuration or new button.

A script could be written to show a menu of all bitrates in the current folder for selection.

Without using scripting, there may be a Windows Search query you could type in each time, but I'm not sure and it'd require typing the bitrate numbers each time, at least, rarher than giving a nice menu of possible values (unless you want to use a hardcoded list of choices, but then Abr's approach could already do that).

Thanks, but I don't want to see all. I want to "show just files having a certain bit rate".

Typing in the bitrate each time is fine. That's what I want. If anyone know such a query that works in DOpus, please say.

You may try something like:

bitrate:=128kbps
bitrate:>127kbps

an in case this does not work, try:
kind:music bitrate:=128kbps
kind:music bitrate:>127kbps

Make sure you use the "search" filed of opus, not the filter field. And to really make sure the search/filter you entered works, give windows explorer a try at first!
If I enter "bitrate:<193 kbps" into the explorer and the same expression into DO, DO shows nothing, while explorer shows matching files. I must think this is not intended(?), so your mileage may vary.. o)

Note: This search will go below the current folder, to prevent that, I guess another criteria is needed?

[quote="tbone"]Make sure you use the "search" filed of opus, not the filter field. And to really make sure the search/filter you entered works, give windows explorer a try at first!
If I enter "bitrate:<193 kbps" into the explorer and the same expression into DO, DO shows nothing, while explorer shows matching files. I must think this is not intended(?), so your mileage may vary.. o)[/quote]

When using the Search field (not anything else) Opus just passes the search string to Windows Search, so the results should generally be the same as what Explorer gives with the same thing.

Not always, though. The exact way Explorer uses Windows Search is not documented anywhere (that we have found, at least), so it may modify queries or add additional search parameters in ways which Opus doesn't.

Same for Directory Opus, AFAICT. Please consider remedying this.

My previous reply to this has not appeared, so I am reposting. If it offended a mod who deleted it, apologies, and please do say what caused offence.

[quote="tbone"]You may try something like:

bitrate:=128kbps[/quote]

Thanks. That works.

But it removes the columns I have added. Is there a way to disable this? I don't want to have to readd columns manually or save columns to some config each time I change them.

Not reproduced here. I.e. both show matches.

All Opus does is pass the search string to Windows Search and waits for the results to come back. That is literally it. There's nothing to document. Opus exhibits the default behaviour of the Windows Search API (whatever that behaviour is; Microsoft have done a terrible job of documenting anything to do with Windows Search, so the details are vague, but we can't help there).

All Opus does is pass the search string to Windows Search and waits for the results to come back. That is literally it. There's nothing to document.[/quote]

Thanks for the documentation :slight_smile: Please consider putting this in the Help.

Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with what you posted and nothing was deleted on our side (even accidentally; I checked the logs and there haven't been any deletions).

The help already says the Search field uses Windows Search. I don't know what you want us to add.

Thanks. I guess the post failed and I failed to spot it. Sorry to bother you.

The documentation you just gave.

The format lock (packlock icon on the status bar, also accessible via the Folder menu, Format Lock item) can be turned on to prevent the columns changing when the folder changes.

You probably won't want to leave it on all the time, though, so it's not ideal if you just want it to stop the change when using the search field.

I've got an idea which might work, but I'll need some time to try it. I'll post again here with the details if it worked.

Thanks. That works.

Yes I can see the problem - all folders now show the same.

Certainly I would prefer simply that search not change the columns. Accepting that might not suit some other users.

Here it is, a script add-in for Opus 11 which lets you do this without having to touch the format lock:

[ul][li]Search results format lock[/li][/ul]

(As a bonus, it can optionally add the Location column to the results. You can turn that off in its configuration window if you don't want it.)