How to force confirmation on every "move" file operation?

Hello.

I use Opus, for example, to explore my NAS server.
On my NAS - I have big, root, folders that are easy to click,
and by mistake move one to another. In such situation I would be in trouble...

That's why I want to force Opis to confirm every "move" file operation. How to do that?

In my Settings / Preferences / File Operations - there is no "Move Options".
So I entered ... / File Operations / Deleting Files / and 1) unchecked "Delete to Recycle Bin where possible (support undo)" 2) "When not using the Recycle Bin" / "Ask for confirmation for each selected folder before deleting" - checked.

No result.
Other options are default.

Any idea what to do???

• PRZEMEK

You could insert some "@confirm" statements into all the drag and drop events to be found here:
Settings -> Filetypes -> All Files and Folders -> Events (Tab)

Another possibility is to restrict yourself from moving (which is a copy and delete) files and folders by applying reduced access permissions to these.
I use these: Lock On/Off (protect items from deletion) They require a NTFS filesystem I guess. But whatever filesystem your NAS uses, it should have some way to allow only a subset of file operations on specific directories for specific users. I do not own a NAS, my drives are attached to a regular PC that is running constantly, so don't mind if I talk BS. o)

The key is to not access sensitive areas as "root" or "superadmin" or whatever master account in question.

Depending on how you move your files (drag & drop / by menu / button / shortcut), you could customize the according COPY MOVE command to include @confirm, for example

COPY MOVE
@Confirm really move these files?|yes|abort

That way you always would be asked to confirm the move.

Hello.

What I mean is that during clicking my folders I can accidentaly drag and drop one folder to another (when operating with my mouse). And I don't have NTFS on my NAS.

So I tried the 1st method proposed by tbone. I choose Settings / File Types / All folders / (edit) / Events / Drag and drop / (edit) / Modifiers / @confirm. STILL NO EFFECT. Could You give me more detailed instructions??

To abr:
I don't understand. What exactly should I do?

Thanks,
PRZEMEK

Place the @confirm "Really move.." line at the top of the drag n drop event (you need to switch to advanced edit mode in the button editor which comes up).

Well,
I succeeded to force confirm when using "Move" button.
But I need to prevent from drag and drop (when I would click my folders wrong way).
So that's what I did:

When I am testing this solution on my 2 test-folders, there is still no effect. WHY?
And why, the hell, in my Settings / Preferences / File Operations - there is no "Move Options". What's more, "move" is not identical to "copy" and "delete". If it was "copy" at the beginning, than during move operation at first two instances of source folder would occur, which is false. Moving from one disk to the same disk is not the same as copy and delete. Where as it is the same, when moving from one disk to another disk. (In my case it is not the same.)

You need exactly this (with no quotes) in your command editor:

Well, abr, I opened editor - as shown in my previous message - and istead:
@confirm "Really move.."
I have put:

• as You said.
    It doesn't work. Check it Yourself, please.
    My version of Opus is Pro and 11.16.

Yes, this and the command line that actually moves the items (as it seems to be , so adding just @confirm won't do!)
So maybe just copy what you have in your move button into the drag n drop event, it should work there too.

And yes yes, move maybe a rename if it's same disk and seen from a filesystem perspective, but looking at it from an access permissions view, it is create, write (copy) in location A and delete in location B, ok? o)

Try this:

COPY MOVE

Well, I added event not only to the "All folders" but also to "All files and folders". Now, when I am testing it, a dialog box is shown, but no matter what I answer (yes or abort) it doesn't wait for my answer but Opus is moving one folder to another. In my opinion, the application is not working ok.

Thank You, abr.
I added code:

COPY MOVE

to "All folders" events, and the goal has been achieved.
This is it!
Thanks again!!

I think, the whole code still can be refined. I suppose, that you don't intend to always move the files, so maybe someone comes up with an even better solution.

Your solution is OK. (I am fully satisfied.)

There's also an option in preferences to prevent drag & drop into subfolders unless a qualifier key is held down.

None of the above worked in 12.9.4

Go to Settings -> File Types -> All Files and Folders -> Events > Drag-and-drop

1. Double click on Drag-and-drop to edit it
  2. Function should be Standard Function (Opus or external)
  3. Enter these commands on separate lines

@confirm
copy move

1. Close all the dialogs

That looks similar to the later suggestions above. They should still work in 12.9.4, but your instructions are clearer and all one place, which should help others.

Some of the old posts were not formatted correctly due to forum changes, which I've fixed.