How to have a flat folder icon displaying a pictures folder?

hi,

i use and work with a crazy number of pictures files (mainly in .jpg) all classified in folder.

when i browse my pictures folders, there is an icon in 3D showing several pictures whic are in it but hard to see what's really inside except entering the folder and being in thumbails views.

is it possible to display a folder picture with the FIRST picture of what is inside the folder ?
let's tell that i have a folder and in it :
01.jpg
02.jpg
0.3.jpg
etc...

is it possible by default to tell that this folder will dispay the 01.jpg as a folder icon, but in a Flat display, like it is done with the MP3 / thumbnails display and the folder.jpg feature but having this done automatically for folder which have only pictures ? thx !

Turning off Preferences / File Display Modes / Thumbnails / Generate folder thumbnails via the shell (provides 3D folder thumbs) may give you something closer to what you want. (Flat, with 4 images tiled on the thumbnail. I think it uses the most recent 4 images.)

If you name a file as folder.jpg then it will be used on its own, too. (Works with both Opus and Explorer, whether the above option is on or off. The option will still decide if the thumbnail is flat or 3D.)

Thanks, not perfect, but still better. is it possible (without using the folder.jpg feature as it's not automatic) to reduce the number of picture used to 1 instead of 4 ?

Thanks !

Only if you want the folder rendered as a CD case and the image forced to a square aspect ratio.

[quote="martyprod"]is it possible (without using the folder.jpg feature as it's not automatic) to reduce the number of picture used to 1 instead of 4 ?
Thanks ![/quote]
You can try using tbone's SelectEX addon along with his Create random folder.jpg script to help automate the folder.jpg creation.

You just need to select the folders you want the folder.jpg to be created for and click the button. You do need to wait for the script to run though. You can watch the Modified date change on the folders it's finished on.

You can also adjust the % down to 1% to help keep the random selecting near the beginning of the list (depend on how many files are in the folder of course).

[quote="ktbcrash"][quote="martyprod"]is it possible (without using the folder.jpg feature as it's not automatic) to reduce the number of picture used to 1 instead of 4 ?
Thanks ![/quote]
You can try using tbone's SelectEX addon along with his Create random folder.jpg script to help automate the folder.jpg creation.

You just need to select the folders you want the folder.jpg to be created for and click the button. You do need to wait for the script to run though. You can watch the Modified date change on the folders it's finished on.

You can also adjust the % down to 1% to help keep the random selecting near the beginning of the list (depend on how many files are in the folder of course).[/quote]

Thanks i will try that !

best would be to have the icon displaying the right aspect ratio of the picture but not sure if it's possible. as said, it's the best in the worst lol... but my screen have usually an aspect of portrait or landascape, and all landascape have a16/9 ratio, not square.
but if there is not other solution. i don't know, i don't play much with directory opus.

[quote="ktbcrash"]You can try using tbone's SelectEX addon along with his Create random folder.jpg script to help automate the folder.jpg creation.

You can also adjust the % down to 1% to help keep the random selecting near the beginning of the list (depend on how many files are in the folder of course).[/quote]

ok the create random folder script is working perfectly as expected, one more request. the folder is displayed with the folder icon around , the yellow windows color folder. is it possible to have as a folder displaying something specific, like it's done with mp3 filder, or film ones ? and not having a window icon around the picture ? like it's displaying a poster or a dvd case as a folder ? i'm close :slight_smile: thanks guys !

No, there's no current way to have custom folder icon backgrounds/borders around the thumbnails of what's inside. The CD-case and comic-book-archive thumbnails are handled specially.

The only options for normal folders are flat and 3D.

haa (sorry bad typing) too bad, in fact it would have been interesting to display a folder like a picture thumbnails so we see only the picture as a folder and not this ugly window yellow folder around it, but i'll live with it :slight_smile: thanks !