How to log off from another computer on a home network

I've been paranoid since my wife's work computer was wrecked by CryptoSomething on someone else's computer (everything backed up, thank goodness). On our home network, I have now removed the drive letters that I had assigned to other computers. I have also removed any automatic logon to them, so that when I sync my computer with another computer, I first have to logon to the other computer manually.

But I can't logoff again after the sync is complete — the right-click menu offers no such option! (Of course I can log myself off on my own computer and log in again, or I can reboot, but both actions are rather drastic). Internet Explorer does not offer such an option either, so it may be a Windows problem (Windows 7 Pro), but as always with DOpus, it's worth asking.

This might work for you.

Create a new button that it's Function is set to MS-DOS Batch Function and runs this code:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Stored User Names and Passwords window should open. You should see your server share or IP that you connected to. Select and click Remove.

A more automated way that might work is to run an elevated command prompt that first runs:

net use * /delete

then

klist purge

That should kill all network connections, then delete any cached Kerberos tickets. If these commands work for you then maybe someone else can help with automating it into a button. There might need to be a pause between the two commands. Using a batch file comes to mind.

If neither works, then sorry, I'm out of ideas :slight_smile:

Sorry, this command does not need to be run as a MS-DOS Function. It can be left as a standard Opus button

Thanks, ktbcrash — I had never heard about this "Stored UserNames and Passwords" window or used the command rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr. Unfortunately, I can't get the window to work as you describe. Even though I am logged on to two other Windows 7 computers on my home network right now, the panel in the window is empty.

I have run the command from a DOpus button, from a DOS box, from an elevated DOS box, and from the Runbox on the Windows Start Menu. Same result every time. I may well be misunderstanding some key step.

(I am using VPN provided by Private Internet Access, but surely that doesn't affect anything. There is no change when I exit PIA, but I notice that the menu on the system tray's logon icon still gives only the PIA logon option.)

If we're talking about dropping UNC network drive sessions, variations of the "net use ... /delete" command above are often the best choice.

You can run "net use" on its own to see which connections exist at the moment. You'd normally do it from a non-elevated command prompt. (Or from both, since the elevated environment has its own separate drive mappings.)

Once again, thanks Leo for your very precise answer. I looked up the syntax of the "net use" command (which I had never heard of), and writing the necessary DOpus buttons was then extremely easy. This "net use" command is very useful — not only does allow the logging off that I was looking for, but it also greatly streamlines the logging on procedure and the checking of which computers are currently logged on.