How to make going up remember folder selections

in previous versions, going BACK would keep the selection on the folder i just came from.

with 9.5, the first folder becomes selected.

bug? feature? how to fix?

sorry i may have posted too soon. i remapped my mouse the other day to use backspace instead of alt-left to go BACK. it seems backspace forgets folder selection, but alt-left does not. i sorted it on my end...

You can change the command used by the backspace in the keys tab of the customize dialog. Change it to Go Up BACK. That should do what you want.

Backspace and Alt-Left run different commands by default.

Alt-Left goes back. (Go BACK)

Backspace goes up. (Go UP)

'Back' and 'up' are the same folder if you just came from the parent but in other cases they are different folders.

Opus only remembers the folder selection if a folder is pulled from the history. The Go BACK UP command Steve mentions tells Opus to go up a level and, if possible, pull the folder from the history so that the file selections, scrollbar position, etc. are as they were when you were in that folder a moment before. On the other hand, running just Go UP will read in a brand new view of the folder with those things reset.

More about this in the FAQs:[ul][li]HOW TO: Remember scroll positions and file selections.[/li][/ul]

Hi Leo,

A number of us have been wanting a third option, for some time now.  It would be a variation on the "Go Up" command.

"Go Up" briefly highlights the name of the name of the folder that was just left, with a flashing underscore (which may not be visible in a large directory, if that folder isn't near the top of the list). What is desired is a "Go Up and Select Previous" command. Instead of the mere brief highlight, the file would be placed on-screen (mid-screen if it's a long list) and be the selected item.

This should not be too difficult to implement, since the "Go Up" command is already identifying the previous folder in the new list.

I miss this feature constantly, because the Back command is not suited to all navigational circumstances.  I hope the development team will consider it.

Did you send a feature request?

If you just double-clicked on the folder you're in, and then run Go BACK UP (not just Go BACK) then you get exactly what you're asking for.

Are you talking about going up when you navigated to the current folder some other way, or did you just not realise what Go BACK UP did?

No, I'm talking about having gotten into the folder some other way (as from a favorites list, for example).

What I would like to have is a button on my toolbar like the Go Up button, but that will leave me with the folder I just left as the active item in the list.

Re: xbprm's suggestion, I have made a feature request in the past.