How to make the mark color retain

I have a directory with important file upgrades, including Opus, and in order to distinguish the importance of the files, I marked my favorite DOpusInstall-Chinese.exe in red. But after I downloaded the new upgrade file in the forum and overwritten the previous version, the red mark disappeared and I have to mark it again. Can the red color I marked be never changed?

Thanks.

Labels can be assigned to the file itself, and stored in NTFS on the disk/SSD as part of the file, or they can be assigned to the path the file is at and stored in your Opus configuration.

NTFS is used by default, so labels follow the file around if it is moved, renamed, etc. But in this case you would want to use the other method.

You can configure which method is used in Preferences, but you can also keep the default NTFS method while manually adding a path label there as well. You can also make buttons/menus which set labels and override the way they are stored, but that shouldn't be needed here.

So, go to Label Assignments in Preferences and click the button at the top to add a new path label.

1 Like

Thanks Leo, you are great, Opus is great. The Label Assignments setting is exactly what I need, showing a special color in the pane and not part of the file, because I don't want to change the file itself, I don't want to add extra information to the file.

However, I found that the icon of the Add Files window of Label Assignments in Preferences does not match the high DPI. And does not support multiple selection.

That screenshot is of the standard Windows file open dialog. We don't have anything to do with how those look, except the extra controls sometimes added at the bottom of them (when added by us, in Opus).

Any DPI bugs in those dialogs need to be sent to Microsoft rather than us.

Yeah, I got it. It seems that Windows 1903 is another big collection of bugs.

Thank you.

I label files using wildcard patterns, Opus only recognizes *.doc, and does not recognizeFW*.doc. The format of the wildcard is different from the Windows system?

Hard to answer without knowing what the wildcard you've used is.

*.(doc|docx) is what I'd use to match both Word document extensions.

Sorry, the wildcard was not being displayed.

I mean Opus recognizes *.(doc|docx) and does not recognize FW*.(doc|docx).

The wildcard needs to match the full path of the file or folder for the label to apply to it.

Try *\FW*.(doc|docx) so it matches the full path.

Although that will also match any doc/docx files below folders starting with "FW", which you probably don't want. This more complex wildcard will only match files named FW*.doc or FW*.docx, below any folder:

*\FW#[~\].doc

#[~\] means zero or more repetitions of any character other than \

You can also use Label Filters instead of wildcard filters if you want more control over things, e.g. to apply a more simple wildcard to just the Name and not the full path. But Label Filters also take effect slightly slower after reading a new folder.

1 Like

Thanks Leo! I have learned a lot. Sure enough, Label Filters are more powerful, more flexible, and simpler, and can directly apply the usual wildcard expressions regardless of the path.

1 Like

In the next beta, we'll add a Match Full Path option to the simple wildcard labels to make things like this much easier, without needing to use filters:

1 Like

Great, no one will be confused anymore, Opus will be more and more perfect.

If only :laughing:

Only me, I am so honored.:rofl:

By the way, a suggestion:
In Label Filters, the wildcard expression is in reverse chronological order, and the last added wildcard expression is always at the top, which is the most convenient.

Filter clauses are added in the order you add them, and checked in the order they are shown. The order matters. Some clauses are more expensive to calculate than others, so you need to be able to specify the order of them without it being changed arbitrarily.

If you want them in a different order, put them in a different order.

1 Like

Thanks Leo, I understand.