How to show virtual drives in Drive Buttons menu?

Hi, I have a dynamic Drive Buttons menu:

Go DRIVEBUTTONS=network,hideempty,labels,multifunctabs

In Windows Vista My Computer I have some virtual shell drives pointing to internet online storages (they have no drive letter) - these drives are not displayed in the above Drive Buttons menu. So how can I make these virtual drives shop up in the above Drive Buttons menu?

Drives without drive-letters won't be enumerated by the Go DRIVEBUTTONS command.

If you want buttons for them then you should be able to create them by dropping the drives on to the toolbar while in Customize mode. (At least in theory. I've never tried doing things with drives that don't have letters.)

Yes, this works.

However, there is an other problem: When in Customize mode, the icon displayed is the desired customized icon for my NAS (lower image), then when back in normal mode the default network icon is displayed (upper image): Please see attached images. So how can I display the custom icon in normal mode?

Just edit the buttons to change their icons.

This apparently is a misunderstanding. I meant the icons of the automatically displayed drives of the DRIVEBUTTONS menu.

Those icons come from Windows. If you want to change then you can do it either via autorun.ini on the drives or via the registry as described in my HDD Letter Icons post.

Thanks, Leo.

BTW, in the DRIVEBUTTONS menu the drive icons are displayed above the drive letter or drive label. Is it possible to display the drive icons at the left side of the drive letter/label, as in MyComputer?

Yes, use lettersbeforelabels:

Go DRIVEBUTTONS=network,lettersbeforelabels,multifunctabs

(BTW, no point using hideempty when it only displays network drives, so I removed that.)

[quote="leo"]Yes, use lettersbeforelabels:

Go DRIVEBUTTONS=network,lettersbeforelabels,multifunctabs

[/quote]
When using this menu definition the drive icons are still displayed ABOVE the drive letter/label:

Edit the button and change its Show Label drop-down to right (or whatever you want).

Thanks, Leo.

There's an other problem: I have a button for a special drive. This button opens the drive always in a new Lister. How can I force it to always open the drive in the actual lister?

That's difficult to answer without knowing what the button does, i.e. its function/command and other settings.

Here is the button definition (confidential information removed by X):

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="icon" separate="yes" textcol="none" type="three_button"> <label>Online Storage X</label> <icon1>C:\Program Files\XXX\XXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXX.exe,1</icon1> <button backcol="none" display="icon" textcol="none"> <label>Online Storage X</label> <tip>Online Storage X</tip> <icon1>C:\Program Files\XXX\XXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXX.exe,1</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>IDL:?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</instruction> </function> </button> <button backcol="none" display="icon" textcol="none"> <label>Online Storage X</label> <tip>Online Storage X</tip> <icon1>C:\Program Files\XXX\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXXXX.exe,1</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>IDL:?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX OPENINRIGHT</instruction> </function> </button> </button>

IDL:?... buttons like your left-click example always open in the current lister for me (if the button is run from a lister). Maybe it's different for certain folder objects.

Your right-click button is wrong, by the way. You can't tack OPENINRIGHT after an IDL:?... string. OPENINRIGHT is an argument to the Go command but that line isn't using the Go command so it's meaningless.

You should be able to fix both buttons by using the Go command. Change them this:

Go "IDL:?XXXXXXX"

...and this:

Go "IDL:?XXXXXXX" OPENINRIGHT

Note: It's important to put quotes around the IDL paths even though they do not contain spaces. I think this is because they end with "=" which can confuse the command parser if the quotes are missing.

[quote="leo"]You should be able to fix both buttons by using the Go command. Change them this:

Go "IDL:?XXXXXXX"

...and this:

Go "IDL:?XXXXXXX" OPENINRIGHT

Note: It's important to put quotes around the IDL paths even though they do not contain spaces. I think this is because they end with "=" which can confuse the command parser if the quotes are missing.[/quote]
Leo, thank you for the answer. However quoting the IDL-Path causes the button to not open the drive altogether. Maybe this IDL-Path has something special (there is no "=" at the end). But I can live with the button opening a separate Lister.

You added the "Go " command to the start of the lines and didn't just put quotes around the IDL strings, right?

Does it work if you don't quote the IDL path? Seems odd that there's no "=" at the end. Were the buttons made by dropping letterless drives on to the toolbar as we discussed the other day?

Yes. I tried both versions:

Go "IDL:?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

and:

Go IDL:?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Clicking the button with both the above Go versions makes the current Lister flicker once for a very short time and then the Lister path remains unchanged and the drive directory is not opened.

The number of chars replaced with X is 60, no "=" at the end.

Yes. It represents an internet online storage space with WebDAV file-system. Here is the property dialog of the drive item in MyComputer: