How to stop .parts files being read by viewer pane?

Some torrent programs like qbittorrent generate these files with a .parts extension for files that have been partially but not fully downloaded. When you select these in Dopus it tries to display their content in the file viewer. However, I dunno why, it usually goes wrong and makes that lister freeze for a bit, or sometimes indefinitely, and I have to kill Dopus in the task manager and restart it to get it to work normally again. I bump into this so often and it's such a pain, so I wanted to reach out for a fix.

Is there a way to make the viewer ignore these or other arbitrary file types?

Try disabling viewer plugins (Preferences / Viewer / Plugins) to find out which one is freezing.

Turning off Preferences / Viewer / Viewer Pane / Display shell thumbnails and Display shell icons could also help, if the problem is happening in the shell or a shell extension.

Let us know what you find. If the freeze is something external to Opus then we might not be able to do much, but if it's happening in a part of Opus then we can probably improve things.

It seems to be the text plugin. Makes sense, since it's trying to interpret it as a text file.

Sometimes the lister doesn't freeze entirely, just the viewer pane. You'll select other files and it just won't update to displaying them until like 30 seconds later. But in some cases it freezes more things than just the viewer pane.

Could you send us some process snapshots made while the problem is happening?

We should be able to see where the text plugin is taking a long time from those.

Sent dumps to the email as described.

1 Like

I hope I'm not being impatient, but just wanted to know if you had a chance to look at the logs. I always have a million listers and tabs open, and I hope that doesn't make the debugging of the issue a hassle. :x

I've downloaded them (so you can free up the storage if you need to). Don't know when I'll get a chance to look into it though.

1 Like

We have a change coming that should make the text viewer skip those files. (Or at least the one that was sent. If there are still problems after the next version is out, please let us know.)

1 Like