How to switch lister layout / style based on folder?

Is it possible to switch the lister’s layout / style automatically based on the folder? For example, when I’m in my work photos folder I want my photo editing toolbar to be present automatically and when I’m in my videos folder I don’t want any toolbar’s, tabs, or breadcrumb bar to be displayed.

Thanks!

There are a couple of ways you can do this, but if you want it tied to particular paths, using Folder Formats is probably the most suitable.

Go to Preferences / Folders / Folder Formats, then create a new Path Format:

200dpi_wc10503_dopus

You can also use Wildcard Path Formats if you want something which will match folders in multiple places. For example, if you have D:\Video and E:\Video, you could have a single format matching *:\Video if you wanted both to be the same, without the need for two separate formats for the two folders.

(You can also save Path Formats when in the folder, from the main window, via the Folder > Folder Options dialog's Save button. But you would then need to go into Preferences and edit them again to access some of the options below.)

In Preferences, when editing a Path Format, you can find an option to specify an extra Toolbar to load when in that folder. You also have the option of specifying a Toolbar Set (if you have made one/some), which allows you to turn off other toolbars as well as turn on one or more special toolbars.

200dpi_wc10504_dopus

There are also options for changing the file display mode, columns, and various other details.

One thing you cannot do is remove the File Display Toolbar, i.e. the toolbar that is joined to the top of each file display, where you get two copies of it when in dual-display mode. That toolbar cannot be swapped or turned off except via Preferences / File Displays / Border, where it will affect all windows at once.

Thanks for the quick response leo, really appreciate it. Didn't know you could access more folder options by going into the preferences instead of using the regular folder options, this is a huge help!

Is there any way to turn the file tree on / off on a per folder basis as well?

Not quite as easily, but a script could do that using the OnAfterFolderChange event.

1 Like

Thanks! Already have a few small scripts running and will looking into one for that as well.

this might interest you

2 Likes

Thanks mate, that looks like just what I was looking for! I'll give it a shot ASAP!