How to use DOpus as the File-Open/File-Save File Picker

That sounds like the solution, Leo.
If only I knew how to do it. :confused:[/quote]
To do what I suggested -- ask the Listary team for the command to run to make Listary appear like when Explorer is double-clicked -- you go to listary.com and click "Support" at the top right.

If they can tell you the command, we can tell you how to make Opus run it when the background is double-clicked.

That sounds like the solution, Leo.
If only I knew how to do it. :confused:[/quote]
To do what I suggested -- ask the Listary team for the command to run to make Listary appear like when Explorer is double-clicked -- you go to listary.com and click "Support" at the top right.

If they can tell you the command, we can tell you how to make Opus run it when the background is double-clicked.[/quote]
OK.

Leo.

This the reply I received.

[quote]You can set a hotkey for the popup menu in Listary Options - Hotkeys, and then simulate the hotkey press in your application.

Currently Listary can't detect double-click in Directory Opus. Could you please share your solution? Thanks.[/quote]

What should I say?

You can set Opus to run any command when the background is double-clicked, via Preferences / File Displays / Mouse, where it says Run a defined User Command.

User defined commands are made via Settings > Customize Toolbars > Commands > User-Defined commands.

I don't know what you would put in the command, though, as that will depend on how Listary needs to be run to make it pop-up its interface in the appropriate way. (Assuming it can be launched this way via the command line.)

Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, when I select Directory Opus, "Mouse double-click in empty area to activate Listary" is greyed out.[/quote]

It is for me, as well. Try mouse middle click (the selection below that).. Works just fine. :thumbsup:

[quote="Protocol"]Leo.

This the reply I received.

[quote]You can set a hotkey for the popup menu in Listary Options - Hotkeys, and then simulate the hotkey press in your application.

Currently Listary can't detect double-click in Directory Opus. Could you please share your solution? Thanks.[/quote]

What should I say?[/quote]

Sorry to continue interjecting here, but I think this may help. Here's the Listary Options - Hotkeys popup menu:

Note the red box. It is typically blank, but you can set it how you like. This makes the Listary context menu accessible in any application, not just DOpus.
Unfortunately, I am not sure how you would have DOpus call your specific key combination to activate the Listary context menu as Listary doesn't seem to have much, if any, command line options. Based on the response from the Listary author, he's not sure either. If you are dead set on using double click, perhaps Leo can further help with this specific info.

That said, I really find it easier to use the middle click option. The middle mouse button option in the Listary Options - By Window Type popup menu:

Note the red box. This explicitly makes it accessible in DOpus, although you can do this for the other listed window types.

Something to consider. Hopefully you find something that works for you.

I already did, just before your last two posts.

I already did, just before your last two posts.[/quote]

I saw that, but thought it might spur something else. For example, is there a way in DOpus to simply replicate a set of keystrokes?

No.

Got it. Thanks!

What about using jscript, wscript.shell object and its sendkeys() method to send the keystroke?
wsh2.uw.hu/ch13d.html

I guess there are dedicated tools for injecting keyboard events as well.

Here is another reply from the author of Listary.
By the way. Maybe we should have a Listary thread so it is easier fro people to find.

It's very simple to write an AutoHotkey script to simulate Listary popup hotkey. Here are the full steps:

1. Set Listary popup menu hotkey to Ctrl+Shift+Alt+P in Listary Options - Hotkeys.
  2. Download and install AutoHotkey: http://www.autohotkey.com/
  3. Download the attached open_popup.ahk, and then choose to launch it in DOpus.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact with me.
Double-Clicking The Directory Opus Background Command.zip (135 Bytes)

As a lightweight tool instead of Listary for serving this purpose only, check out get_path_from_dopus.exe

[quote="tbone"]What about using jscript, wscript.shell object and its sendkeys() method to send the keystroke?
wsh2.uw.hu/ch13d.html

I guess there are dedicated tools for injecting keyboard events as well.[/quote]

That sounds worth a try. I didn't know wscript (which is part of Windows) had that ability. That would save you from having to install Autohotkey just for this, if it really has to be done by sending a hotkey and Listary can't be run from the command line to do the same thing.

As I wrote in another topic I found, you can use Dopus as a help for the Open/Save File Dialogs of most programs when Listary is installed. If you want to open/save a file open the Save/File Dialog Window of your programm, switch to Dopus, select the wanted folder in the left lister of Dopus, switch back to your program and the wanted folder is selected in the Open/Select File Dialog of the program. I found this feature per accident, but as mentioned, it only works with Listary installed. But, of cause, in most cases Listary alone will find your wanted folders quicker.

Just putting in another vote to have this someday. Understood that it's hard to do right now because of Windows.

If DOpus had this feature it would be perfect.

As it stands, I unfortunately still have to interact with Windows Explorer in browser file open/save dialogs, which sucks when Windows' thumbnail cache crashes and burns, as it often does. Yeah, even after clearing/rebuilding it.

I also tried out Listary, but it did not do what I was hoping. All it does is open DOpus to choose a folder, and then redirects back to your file open/save dialog. This was useless to me (on top of being a clunky workflow), as my issue was not choosing a folder, it was having to interact with Windows' default explorer open/save dialog in the first place, especially when explorer decides to have random slowdowns or the thumbnail cache blows up. Listary did not solve this in any way for me, because I'm still forced to use the default open/save dialog.

Thanks for listening, maybe someday...

You can use listary also for just typing in the folder you are looking for (yet it is still attached to the default windows explorer window as you say). Fluent search is also a good choice, but i think it does lack a direct dopus integration. Replacing the default windows dialogs is nearly impossible because it would require a very deep "hack" of maybe even ondocumented apis, so i think if windows isnt changing the way by themselves, there will be no such feature. I myself find listary a very good "replacement".

1 Like