I need to find an archive file that has no more an archive extension

Hi Support,

is it possible to find an archive file that has no more his archive extension.
For Example a file named test.rar that now is name test.bbr
I don't know the file name or the new extension.

I tried advanced search with the following filter:

type match filetype group Archives
and name not match (*.rar|*.gz|*.cab|*.7z!*.zip)

I created a winrar test file called "test.rar" and then I renamed it as "test.bbr" to verify if the filter is working but he is not able to find it

is there a way to crate the filter I need?

There isn't an built-in way to do that with Opus. Scripting could do it by inspecting the binary data at the start of each file to see if it has the different archive type signatures, at least for archive formats that have them.

You could also use this button and the TrID tool to give any selected files their correct extensions, based on their contents, but you may end up renaming other files as well:

Hi Leo,
thanks for you reply, for the moment I'm trying using this filter:

contain *rar!* and not match (*.rar|*.gz|*cab|*.7z)

I was able to find out my test.bbr rar archive in this way.

Do you think that is it good?

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't know the location of the file :frowning:

is there a way to use and header hexdump in cointains filer?

But the drive letter I presume.

You could also do a simple file contents search containing "Rar!" using the same 'name not match' filter in your OP. It might find a couple of false alarms, but will greatly narrow down the candidates. Rar files have Rar! in their header. I tested it and it works, finds .CBR files, sfx .EXEs, etc. too.

yes, it's true, it's working and I've already started the research.

do you know perhaps what to look for in the case of .xls or .xlsx files?

For xlsx, try "[Content_Types].xml". It's a rough estimation but I saw it in a couple files. For xls, not sure, but all xls on my drive seem to start with hex codes "D0 CF 11 E0 A1 B1 1A E1", which I cannot paste here, since some of those unprintable chars. Binary search is not a job for file managers, so you need to run this under the root folder of your drive in a CMD window:
ffind /r /x"D0 CF 11 E0 A1 B1 1A E1" *.*

If this is the result of an undelete attempt, I suggest you use a better program, which can also restore the names, but I have no suggestion.

I just need to find an xls file that has no more xls file extension.
it should be nice to have feature in directory opus that allow to look for an hex string.
I love too much this program, I started using it since Amiga time

ExifTool can filter by file types, like so (DOS button):

@nodeselect

exiftool.exe -filename -if "$FileTypeExtension eq 'xls'" -@ {allfilepath|filem}

pause

Works for archives, too; unfortunately only for zip.

thanks for your reply, I hope they will extend contains filter with hex value in the soon feature