Import Label Presets from DOpus Backup (.OCB)?

Hi,

Is it possible to import only the Label presets from a DOpus backup file into another setup?

My situation:
I have DOpus installed on my home PC and my laptop. Both have different configurations (largely similar, but some differences such as drive shortcuts, etc). I would like to synchronise the Label settings across both installations. Is it possible to transfer/import Label settings from 1 installation to another? Or is it best to just recreate the labels on both machines?

This would be useful for me as I often transfer files between the 2 machines with an external HDD. Would the label assignments be retained after transferring files/folders from one machine to the other?

Open to other suggestions/solutions.

Thanks for any help

Label definitions (as in "Red" means "use red for the text color", etc.) are stored in /dopusdata\ConfigFiles\foldercolors.oxc.

Which files/folders labels are applied to, if they have been applied by path, are stored in /dopusdata\ConfigFiles\filecolors.oxc. But that data is not always part of the config and may be stored in the filesystem itself, if Preferences / Favorites and Recent / Labels / Automatically store labels in the file system if possible is turned on.

If labels are stored in the filesystem, you should turn on Preferences / File Operations / Copy Attributes / Copy metadata (comments, keywords, etc) and Copy all NTFS data streams if you want them to be included when copying files or moving them between drives. (This has a small per-file performance overhead.)

If labels are stored in the filesystem, they will always be lost when copying to a non-NTFS destination (e.g. some network shares, FAT/FAT32/exFAT/etc. drives and USB sticks, zip files, most cloud storage).

Both config files are text files, so you can open them up to see the type of data they include.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info Leo.

I use Robocopy to handle transfer operations to and from my external HDD. Labels won't be preserved between machines with Robocopy?

Thanks again

Looks like the default is to copy them:

C:\>robocopy /?

/COPY:copyflag[s] :: what to COPY for files (default is /COPY:DAT).
                       (copyflags : D=Data, A=Attributes, T=Timestamps, X=Skip alt data streams).
                       (S=Security=NTFS ACLs, O=Owner info, U=aUditing info).
2 Likes

Thanks Ixp.

Finally got around to doing a bit of testing, and you're correct! Using Robocopy will preserve labels when copying from source to my external HDD.

And with Leo's tips above ( Copy all NTFS data streams), I can preserve labels when transferring from external HDD to destination.

Thanks a lot guys!

1 Like